Microsoft Management Console Errors

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im having a really annoying issue with the Microsoft Management Console....

Anytime i try to open certain MMC consoles, i get the standard Microsoft Error "Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to close...." and all i can do is either Send the Error to MS, or click Dont Send.

It doesnt happen for all MMC snap ins - only some. For example, DNS, DHCP, Computer Mgmt are all fine, but ISA2004 wont work, neither will Services.msc and a few others.

If i try to manually open the MMC and add the snap in - same issue happens. I've read several MS KB Articles but none relevant to my problem.

The strange thing though: If i change my Environment User (i.e Temp files) folders, MMC works. After a reboot though, same issue happens and i need to change the variabls folder once again.

Any clues?

Thanks,
O

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Do you have MMC 3.0 installed? You can get errors if you opened an msc in author mode on a 3.0 PC and then try to open that same msc on a 2.0 PC. Ususally it will give you another error about version numbers before it crashes, though.
  • KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got version 3.0 i believe... whatever version comes with Win2k3...

Im using Win2k3 server.... and the problem is REALLy annoying....

If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated....
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My guess would be that other snap ins that you have installed are corrupt.

Try rebooting the server and only opening built-in snap-ins that 2003 provided. Don't open any added snap ins like ISA 2004.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just a couple of suggestions (since you didn't state what KB articles you did or did not use):

1. Change the computer environment variable for temp files.
    2. Open the console (if you can) and go to FILE>Options>DiskCleanup and click "Delete Files".
    3. Log on as a different user and see if the consoles work.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    I restart and try the services.msc snap in and it doesnt work..... there are several others that behave the same way.

Does that mean that the services.msc snap in is corrupt? If so, how can i 'uncorrupt' it?
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Khattab wrote:
    I restart and try the services.msc snap in and it doesnt work..... there are several others that behave the same way.

Does that mean that the services.msc snap in is corrupt? If so, how can i 'uncorrupt' it?

I was thinking more along the lines that the post-installed snap-ins were not installed correctly causing corruption.

My next guess would be what sprkymrk mentioned, that being trying different users.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Khattab wrote:

Server 2003 comes with 2.0, but you can go to Microsoft's site and download 3.0. 3.0 is required for some of the new snap-ins.
    Hi,
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Just a couple of suggestions (since you didn't state what KB articles you did or did not use):

1. Change the computer environment variable for temp files.
    2. Open the console (if you can) and go to FILE>Options>DiskCleanup and click "Delete Files".
    3. Log on as a different user and see if the consoles work.

I gave that a go, but still no luck. I logged on as a different user and same issue happened.

The MS articles that i looked at (i dont have KB numbers unfortunately) basically said install latest SP's (though the issue wasnt happening before i installed Win2k3 SP2) and if you have ISA, install latest SP's for ISA. There were other MMC error messages mentioned in the KB's but they were not relevant to my install.

Any other suggestions?
    Claymoore wrote:
    Khattab wrote:

Server 2003 comes with 2.0, but you can go to Microsoft's site and download 3.0. 3.0 is required for some of the new snap-ins.

I am unable to install the update version because i've got SP2 - which updates the console to a later version than the one which is available for download.

My version is: 5.2.3790.3959
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Uninstall SP2 and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if SP2 is the cause since it has been the cause of other items not working.