Passed 291

belindak36belindak36 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thank God it is over. I passed with a 780. I had a lot of questions on WSUS. I used the Sybex book, the MS Press book, and the MOC. I used several demo test also. Now I need to decide what is next. I'm debating on Security+, MCSE, or CCNA. This test gets me MCSA 2K3. I have an MCSE in NT4. Should a person do the MCSE track before doing CCNA? :D

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would finish your MCSE track while you are in MS mode. the 293 has a lot of overlap from the 291 and you just need 2 more tests after that.

Congrats. I finally started my 291 studies tonight... We will see how it goes.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job! I love to read these success stories.
    -Daniel
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
    Mishra wrote:
    I would finish your MCSE track while you are in MS mode. the 293 has a lot of overlap from the 291 and you just need 2 more tests after that.

WoW I'm picking up on this material really fast. I have had previous experience being AROUND DNS admins but not a whole lot of real world experience. But I try to pick up on technologies around me so this probably contributes.

Is this really all the DNS I should know? (I'll list them from my memory here to see where I am at)

Primary, Secondary, Stub, ADI
    Conditial Forwarders, cache-only DNS servers
    Forwarders
    A, PTR, SRV, NS, MX, SOA, CNAME
    Zone transfers

I already know DHCP well and will just need to overview.
    I've already messed with WSUS a lot but the practice questions still throw me off I think but it should be okay.
    and I know ZERO RRAS and don't have any desire to know... so I will just brush up on it and except to miss questions.
    I know how to subnet already... Just need to brush up on the slashes (/24) before I take the test.

I just started studying for the 291 on Monday and think I'm already 75% there. I've read over the same topics for DNS 3 times so most of the weird rules are sticking.

Just doesn't seem right if I am ready for this test the week after next. Am I missing something you think?

You may learn something!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

WoW I'm picking up on this material really fast. I have had previous experience being AROUND DNS admins but not a whole lot of real world experience. But I try to pick up on technologies around me so this probably contributes.

Is this really all the DNS I should know? (I'll list them from my memory here to see where I am at)

Primary, Secondary, Stub, ADI
    Conditial Forwarders, cache-only DNS servers
    Forwarders
    A, PTR, SRV, NS, MX, SOA, CNAME
    Zone transfers

I already know DHCP well and will just need to overview.
    I've already messed with WSUS a lot but the practice questions still throw me off I think but it should be okay.
    and I know ZERO RRAS and don't have any desire to know... so I will just brush up on it and except to miss questions.
    I know how to subnet already... Just need to brush up on the slashes (/24) before I take the test.

I just started studying for the 291 on Monday and think I'm already 75% there. I've read over the same topics for DNS 3 times so most of the weird rules are sticking.

Just doesn't seem right if I am ready for this test the week after next. Am I missing something you think?

Rule of thumb, take some practice exams. Try and score 90% or higher. IF you can consistantly do that, youre probably ready. For me, Im going the long route and just slowly absorb the info. Best of luck mishra! And congrats on the pass belindak36!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    snadam wrote:

Rule of thumb, take some practice exams. Try and score 90% or higher. IF you can consistantly do that, youre probably ready. For me, Im going the long route and just slowly absorb the info. Best of luck mishra! And congrats on the pass belindak36!

Yeah, I still want to study a bit before I go crazy with the practice exams. But I am just afraid I'm overlooking as this is the "really hard test" but I don't want to waste time over studying either.

Learning the material fast is okay too. :-p

Good luck snadam.

You may learn something!
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Congrats

I decided to go with Sec+ after my 291 I need to get it done and over with too then on to my 299 fro my MCSA + security

CCNA would round out your skill set but how much infrastructure work do you do and is it something you want to do more of
  • belindak36belindak36 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Smallguy wrote:
    Congrats

I decided to go with Sec+ after my 291 I need to get it done and over with too then on to my 299 fro my MCSA + security

CCNA would round out your skill set but how much infrastructure work do you do and is it something you want to do more of

Thanks Smallguy. I have also decided to go for the Security+. After that it will be either the MCSA+Security or CCNA I guess whichever is closer.

Mirsha,

I would do more than brush up on RRAS, it is a big part of the test. Good luck with it.