Options

The line between confidence and cockyness

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
The line between confidence and cockyness....

When does confidence start to become cocky and how can you portray the first without becoming the second?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be nice to people and think in terms of, "everyone has weaknesses and strengths," as well as, "You were once a noob and still are in regards to many technologies." Try your best not to boast and always keep an open mind and be objective rather than subjective. Never stay stuff like, "you're wrong." Instead, say stuff like, "From my experience, the way I have perceived this and done it is...." Try to have a positive attitude and offer friendly help. Never boast about your abilities. Just work hard, assist when you can, and other people will take notice of your abilities.

Refer to my sig.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    Sie wrote:

When does confidence start to become cocky and how can you portray the first without becoming the second?

Always make it apparent that you still have an open mind and try to learn from others.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Treat others with respect, even if they don't return the favor. Also, remember that no amount of experience, certs, etc. means you are perfect, always right, etc.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sie wrote:

We are very reliant on one another in this field. Always keep that in mind!
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    experience. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Stride in every morning with your hair greased back and some cool shades on, get a tshirt with "im the best" on it and sing the karate kid I "im the best" song and point your finger at people pretending to shoot at them and wink at the same time. When you fix something do the hi5 **** from topgun, if people piss you off...tell them they stink.

Do all this and people will know you are the best and wont even think your cocky...problem solved.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Pash wrote:
    Stride in every morning with your hair greased back and some cool shades on, get a tshirt with "im the best" on it and sing the karate kid I "im the best" song and point your finger at people pretending to shoot at them and wink at the same time. When you fix something do the hi5 **** from topgun, if people piss you off...tell them they stink.

Do all this and people will know you are the best and wont even think your cocky...problem solved.

I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it turns out icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Confidence is quietly going about your job, knowing that you know it. Doing your job in such a way that others have confidence in your ability to hold up your end.
    Cockiness is going about your job in such a way that you intimidate others into feeling they can't do your job.
    It doesn't sound like much of a difference, but there's a world between the two.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Pash wrote:

Excellent advice. I would also like to add that refering to your colleagues as "champ", "kid", "son", or "big guy" will further solidify your presence as the dominant male within the office environment.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pash wrote:

Excellent advice. I would also like to add that refering to your colleagues as "champ", "kid", "son", or "big guy" will further solidify your presence as the dominant male within the office environment.

Nice! You forgot:

Leave the top 4 buttons unbuttoned on your shirt.
    Own a red sports car.
    Roll your eyes when an inferior (ie - anyone) makes a suggestion.
    Ignore people who disagree with you.
    Embarrass those who make mistakes.
    Wear one of those silly cyborg-looking blue tooth phones in your ear at all times.

icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Wear one of those silly cyborg-looking blue tooth phones in your ear at all times.

I wear 2, one on each ear it works twice as well and prefer to call people "sport"
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

I wear 2, one on each ear it works twice as well and prefer to call people "sport"

<ignores dtlokee> icon_rolleyes.gif

:P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:

This comes naturally when you know your the best....champ.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I own a red sports car, and am seemingly attached to my bluetooth headset..........uh oh....I guess it's time for a change.

...nah.....
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    continue to wear the bluetooth...

just know that we are all snickering behind your back. icon_lol.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Also,
    When you dont know something, pretend you do not have the time to do it and let somebody else do it. Then when when they do it, tell them you could have done it better, but whatever.... they gotta learn...
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start wearing sunglasses indoors. Why? Because the sun always shines when your'e cool icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    One day one guy thought he was better than me......so we went outside....oiled up.........and played volleyball to settle it...................but I had to leave to see a girl before we could settle it...........leaving my buddy turkey (goose would be too obvious) to get his pride smashed.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha go to Youtube and search for Nick Burns the company computer guy for a prime example. I would post the link but I can't connect to youtube which is weird I can ping it fine though lol.

Yayyy Youtube is working again here's one link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKKqHay5jY[/u]
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    continue to wear the bluetooth...

just know that we are all snickering behind your back. icon_lol.gif

Hey- in my defense..on post, we can only wear bluetooth or no phones at all while driving. What happens is I'll stop at a buddies house or whatever, and leave it on while I visit a few minutes. The bright side is, it's not on 24x7...I have a couple of years till I reach that stage! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No matter the excuse the snickering continues icon_lol.gif

Those people who wear those things eek my nerves, walking around the store blabbering into their ear piece. A little courtesy to the rest of the people who don't want to hear your conversation would be nice. If the phone call is really that important that it can't wait you could just step to the side and make your discrete phone call like the rest of the world. But hey its a free country so it doesn't really mastter what I think icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    No matter the excuse the snickering continues icon_lol.gif

Those people who wear those things eek my nerves, walking around the store blabbering into their ear piece. A little courtesy to the rest of the people who don't want to hear your conversation would be nice. If the phone call is really that important that it can't wait you could just step to the side and make your discrete phone call like the rest of the world. But hey its a free country so it doesn't really mastter what I think icon_wink.gif

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I have been in a public place with someone when their bluetooth wasn't visible (either a lady with long hair covering it or they were facing the other way) and they said "Hello" when answering it. I thought they were talking to me and responded in kind. Then they always seem to be upset with me for not knowing they would be starting a conversation with someone else using a device I can't see.

I do admit that my bluetooth is always within reach when I am driving in case a call comes in.
  • Options
    jarjarjarjar Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The story you are about to hear may be your own. You may be lucky to never have experienced this. Or you may be the person with the problem...

I work with a guy who acts like he is the kung-fu master when it comes to computers/networking. He has to call me when he installs new software on a computer because he doesn't read the directions. He takes the easy way out of any problem, and many times that means just walking away without the job being completed. Ask him about his computer skills.... He's the best! Cocky? I don't think that begins to cover it.

I had worked at another job where being confident was a good thing, but if you were cocky, especially if you put someone else down, and if you ended up in a jam, magically everyone else's beeper/cell phone stopped working.

icon_twisted.gif