Options

BCMSN Lab

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
I have tried searching but can't really find much on whats a suitable lab for the BCMSN?

Obviously i need switches i was thinking either 3 or 4 depending on the prices. What type of switch would be suitable for BCMSN, what IOS version do i need as well?

I already have a bunch of routers but no switches as yet.

also while im posting, what books would be suitable? Im getting the cisco press self study and also the office exam cert guide, but was thinking maybe something other than a cisco press book this time.... any recommendations on good switching books?

cheers.
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    have you tried buying a book BCMSN book from cisco press? most cisco books come with a wealth of information on lab setup.

or if you don't have money just use google. There are people like you who also have lab topologies that they are using for the exams. you will be suprised with information you can get on google just make sure is legal to use it though icon_lol.gif
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    nice343 wrote:
    have you tried buying a book BCMSN book from cisco press? most cisco books come with a wealth of information on lab setup.

I had both Cisco Press books for my BSCI. They were both great, i like to study from a lot of different resources and i really prefer to read books rather than words on a screen.

So how bout the lab?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rakem wrote:
    I had both Cisco Press books for my BSCI. They were both great, i like to study from a lot of different resources and i really prefer to read books rather than words on a screen.
    So how bout the lab?

Check out the CCNP Prep Center on Cisco's website. I found lab recommendations in there, although you are not going to like what you see for the BCMSN. You can probably get by on much less.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For lab you should have no less than three switches. You should get the 2950 or 2960 and a multilayer switch such as a 3550 if possible. Get you some CAT 5 and then wire up how ever you want.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    For lab you should have no less than three switches. You should get the 2950 or 2960 and a multilayer switch such as a 3550 if possible. Get you some CAT 5 and then wire up how ever you want.

thanks!

what IOS should these be running?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    The latest version is 12.1 for the 2950s and 12.2 for the 2960s and 3550s. You can use the IOS Feature Navigator to check the features of the IOS to ensure all needed features are supported.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    2950 is MINIMAL for switching in NP. Switch IOS is available from cisco.com with a guest account, make sure you upgrade to a recent version so you can get PVRST and MST/MISTP.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    2950 is MINIMAL for switching in NP. Switch IOS is available from cisco.com with a guest account, make sure you upgrade to a recent version so you can get PVRST and MST/MISTP.

ok so you can get a switch IOS for free? and without one of those CCO accounts or whatever they are?

if the 2950 is minimal, what would be more suited?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Please refer to http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/index.shtml, Cisco's support page for details on how to obtain Cisco IOS.

I believe 2960 is the cisco recommended L2 switch, but like others have said, if you can get a 3550, and 2 2950, you are in a good situation.

Just remember the golden rule when it comes to equipment at home, buy what you can, rent/borrow the rest

If you were to buy or own everything you "needed', you would be broke long before your skills make any money for you.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't buy switches, rent rack time instead. The reason that I suggest that is because the BCMSN is more about layer 3 switching than most people realize, and for you to suitably simulate layer 3 switching you need at least one layer 3 switch. That can put you out as much as $600 for a used switch capable of layer 3. For probably a sixth of that you can get all the rack time you need somewhere online.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    I'd rather have the equipment myself. When you rent time you can't just lab it up on the fly when something pops into your head. I know when I read I keep at least one router or switch up so I can bang away on it to help stuff stick. I tried rack rental but its just not for me I guess. I would just save up some money or try to borrow some from work. It will be worth it in the long run IMO.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Agree with Networker. If you can afford the equipment, you'll be better off with your own. I've rented racks where one port is misdocumented and it can be hell trying to figure out where the mistake is. Much nicer to be able to walk over and look at where the cable is physically plugged in.

Getting a 3550 is my current goal. They are pricey, but I'll find a bargain sooner or later.
  • Options
    yep i would also prefer to have my own stuff... you can always sell it later anyway.

So as far as books go, as i mentioned i'm gonna get the two BCMSN cisco press books, does anyone have any other book then can recommend?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There is a Sybex book that is called CCNP Complete. It is from the older test, but still very informative. I found a copy on ebay for $10 - the main thing to keep in mind with the book is to skip over the CatOS material and to realize that it doesn't cover wireless
  • Options
    would this switch be decent for the BCMSN??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260212613837&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Not sure what IOS it's running, i asked the seller but no reply as yet
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rakem wrote:
    would this switch be decent for the BCMSN??
    Yeah -- its just one of the standard ordinary everyday Layer 2 2950 switches that we usually recommend.

Remember that you can download the latest greatest Switch IOS directly from Cisco with just a guest level CCO login account.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!