Options

Multicast Scopes

kingpeterkingpeter Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can assist me. This is probably incredibly simple but I just can't get my head around the practicallities of it all. What sort of applications make use of multicasting and how do normal scopes work in conjunction with multicast scopes?

Cheers! icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    What I use multicasting for the most is deployment of desktop images. Ghost server has a multicast option, so I PXE boot the destination PCs and have them join the multicast group automagically by choosing the multicast option in the Ghost Client. Now I can multicast a 2 GB desktop image to 10 PCs at the same time without the Ghost server having to send the same information 10 times. Also, since it is multicast instead of broadcast, the rest of the PCs on the network never even see the traffic.

Maybe this wikipedia article will help.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote:
    What I use multicasting for the most is deployment of desktop images. Ghost server has a multicast option, so I PXE boot the destination PCs and have them join the multicast group automagically by choosing the multicast option in the Ghost Client. Now I can multicast a 2 GB desktop image to 10 PCs at the same time without the Ghost server having to send the same information 10 times. Also, since it is multicast instead of broadcast, the rest of the PCs on the network never even see the traffic.

Maybe this wikipedia article will help.

You know I was looking at this thread earlier trying to think of an example.....but this is perfect and one many of our customers use!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    kingpeterkingpeter Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much! That example makes everything clear! icon_smile.gif