Options

Stupid Mistake – Brings Up Question

korszokorszo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
In the excitement of finding out if my Ebay purchases were going to work out (may be an excuse ;--}), I made a stupid addressing mistake … But still don’t understand why the **local interface** did not respond to a **local ping**.

I connected two routers between their serial interfaces, assigned IP addresses, clock rate on DCE, no shutdown. The interfaces came up, but I could not ping anything. Did the basic troubleshooting commands … show int … sh cont … show ip int + brief, but everything looked normal. This drove me crazy for a while.

Then it clicked, I had the interfaces on two different networks:
Router 1 = 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
Router 2 = 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

OK easy fix, but why didn’t either interface respond to a ping when the interface is local to the router? How does an addressing error on the opposite router cause a ping not to respond from the router’s local interface. The line and protocol was up according to the show commands … ?

Sure I’m again missing something simple … does anyone have an explanation? and what “show” command would have indicated a problem under this scenario?

TIA,
RK

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you ping your own interface the router sends the echo request to the router on the other end and that router sends the echo reply back. So if they are on different subnets the distant router doesn't know how to send the echo reply back to you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To ping the local serial interface it needs to cross th connection to the other end and come back.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Wow, didn't know that. I have not yet studied WAN technologies, so I assume it has to do with the serial interface?

I've really only worked with Ethernet, so I'm used to pinging the local interface first.

Let me tell you, this really screwed with my head.

I assume this will be covered in my future reading / studying?

Thanks!!!

RK
  • Options
    In the future don't forget about CDP, it will run on the serial interface without IP addressing
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't remeber ever learning it in exam study, but something learned from the same mistake you just made. This is why hands on is soooo important.

EDIT: I think I learned it learning about frame relay... not sure though icon_scratch.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    In the future don't forget about CDP, it will run on the serial interface without IP addressing
    Believe I used some CDP commands, but don't think it helped the matter. No show commands I could find helped me determine the problem.

Coming from Ethernet, I assumed the local interface would respond to a ping, providing the protocol stack was bound properly.

Guess this turned out to be good experience after all.

Thanks again,
    RK
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interface has to be up and up for you to ping it, even locally

I thought this was true just with serial interfaces, but your post got me thinking and I tried it with a fasteth int - same result

Not something you'd be tested on, but good to know for troubleshooting
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote:
    Interface has to be up and up for you to ping it, even locally

I thought this was true just with serial interfaces, but your post got me thinking and I tried it with a fasteth int - same result

Not something you'd be tested on, but good to know for troubleshooting
    In my scenario **both** router serial interfaces were “up and up”, but the local interface did not respond to an echo request, due to the adjacent interface being on a different subnet.

Ethernet does not act this way … in the same scenario the local Ethernet interface would respond.

Can’t wait to understand this!

RK
  • Options
    If you want to see something fun, change your encapsulation on the serial line to ppp and use different subnets at both ends and see what happens.

Something like

R1

int serial 0/0
    encap ppp
    clock rate 64000
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut

R2

int serial 0/0
    encap ppp
    ip address 20.2.2.2 255.255.255.0
    no shut

then try to ping from one to the other...
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    The interface and line protocol are up, ping fails. I'm going to assume that the line protocol is up because of the encapsulation type?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus