Options

Poll - Favorite Server 2008 Feature

sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
At the request of one of our regular forum contributers - Mishra asked for a poll of your favorite feature in Windows Server 2008. The list of options was taken from a mix of "Top 10" lists on the subject and my own bias. When you really think about it, there is only one clear winner in my opinion (there would be 2, but one is available for download and can be used in Server 2003). Anyway, if you have a preference, make a vote! icon_cool.gif
All things are possible, only believe.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whats with the other vote and no explanation. >_<

I am really curious to see how much is stripped out of server core. Microsoft would do good to make it extremely slim down so people can create their own custom installations like in Linux.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Whats with the other vote and no explanation. >_<

Because it is simply not possible to list EVERY new feature that someone might consider a favorite. They can explain it themsleves if they choose "Other" as to what and why. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really like a lot of the features. NTFS healing, Terminal services, RODC, Server Core, IIS being more modular, and actually like Server Manager.

I really like the clean shutdown. One of the problems with shutting down Exchange is that if the Information Store is being written to, and you shut down, the shut down process could trigger the timeout and bam, Information Store is terminated. You bring Exchange back up, stores are corrupted and not monted. Some admins will shut down Exchange services prior to shut down and some will even dismount databases, then shut down services, then shut down Windows. Glad to see this in Server 2008.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    One of the problems with shutting down Exchange is that if the Information Store is being written to, and you shut down, the shut down process could trigger the timeout and bam, Information Store is terminated. You bring Exchange back up, stores are corrupted and not monted. Some admins will shut down Exchange services prior to shut down and some will even dismount databases, then shut down services, then shut down Windows. Glad to see this in Server 2008.

This was a constant issue especially in Exchange 5.5. I dreaded rebooting that server.
  • Options
    bowulfbowulf Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I had a choice to pick, I would have included the Read Only Domain Controller and other AD enhancements option, but server core is pretty good step for Microsoft. I am waiting to see though how it plays out in real life in terms of Patch Tuesday and support by other vendors, like AV.
    Kent A.
    MCSE - Win2k & Win2k3, MCSA - Win2k3
    MCITP - Vista (EST) & Windows 2008, SA
    MCTS - Vista; Windows Server 2008 -- Active Directory(640), Network(642), Application Infrastructure (643)
    VMware Certified Professional (VCP) - 4,3.x,2.x
  • Options
    bowulf wrote:
    If I had a choice to pick, I would have included the Read Only Domain Controller

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Kind of reminds me of NT4 BDC though. I wish they would make up their minds. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    bowulf wrote:
    If I had a choice to pick, I would have included the Read Only Domain Controller

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Kind of reminds me of NT4 BDC though. I wish they would make up their minds. icon_lol.gif

haha yeah the first thing that popped into my mind was "wait a minute... I thought you could already do a read only domain controller". I've never had a real good security reason to have a RODC but it makes me wonder why they got rid of it in the first place.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I picked virtualization, because I think MS is trying to place Terminal Services under that category now.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    LE2StratLE2Strat Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I picked Server Core. I think this is going to be a very popular configuration for lots of different types of services.
    -Jason Carter
    Systems Programmer, Sr.
    Marshall University
  • Options
    InfInf Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Though I just got an image down and haven't tried it yet, I'm really interested in server core. The concept is a fantastic move that was sorely needed - I just hope the delivery is good.

Can't wait to see how server core + HyperV can hold up against VMware (especially for the price). And of course clean shutdown is good. Lots of interesting new features, which will hopefully motivate me to study! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Interesting... They have the 2008 security guide already out.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc264463.aspx

You may learn something!