Options

200,000?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I noticed that techexams has nearly 200,000 registered users...but I only see 67 online right now. Where did our userbase go?...or do the admins just never get rid of all the old unused accounts? icon_lol.gif

[edit] I meant 200,000. :P
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmmm - what is an unused account?

The one opened a few years ago and not used currently?

How long should they be left open?

Why is the shy blue?

Why did I answer this post?

sheesh, questions, questions, questions icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Well observed KG icon_lol.gif

Just out of curiosity can the Techexams server cope with all 200,000 members all logging on at once. icon_eek.gif

Exactly howmany members would it take to make Techexams fall over, just a thought

Lee H
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    When we get the new TE software on the new server(s) Webmaster can hire a bot-net to log into all 200K member accounts within a few minutes as a live stress test. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    JDMurray wrote:
    When we get the new TE software on the new server(s) Webmaster can hire a bot-net to log into all 200K member accounts within a few minutes as a live stress test. icon_eek.gif

Not just logging, but a real stress test should involve everyone actively posting too. A great test for the 200K accounts would be to use an existing thread such as say for example the weight thread found at http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28492&start=0. It could post fake body weights where the number of pounds (p) is defined as the following:

250 < p < 375

and the post generated is something like:

I am finally down to "p" lbs.

Then you would not need the bot for a second stress test when everyone starts sending urgent PMs! It is the perfect way to test any changes needed without using the bot again.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We have 197700 registered users. Our users have posted a total of 190810 articles.

That's 0.97 articles per user. You have to figure that a lot of users register simply to ask a question and move on once it's answered. Registering a new account isn't exactly making a lifetime commitment to participate in the forums. A lot were probably created for spam as well.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    We have 197700 registered users. Our users have posted a total of 190810 articles.

That's 0.97 articles per user. You have to figure that a lot of users register simply to ask a question and move on once it's answered. Registering a new account isn't exactly making a lifetime commitment to participate in the forums. A lot were probably created for spam as well.

Correct, and many troll but never post (which is fine), and there are plenty who register to access the excellent TechNotes.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Correct, and many troll but never post (which is fine), and there are plenty who register to access the excellent TechNotes.

Yes indeed. I know of people I've recommended to come here who signed up to use the site for study, but have no intention of posting. I cannot make them post, and that's ok. I suppose if they have something to say, they will :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:
    This is an excellent point. There are other TechExam features besides the discussion forums which require member registration. I don't what these features are, however, because I'm only ever in the forums myself. ;)