Options

Difference between ASR and system state

Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
I do understand that system state is something that can only be used when the OS is up and running again. And by using directory services restore mode, you can restore AD (authorative/non auhorative). And that ASR is something thats used when you want to build the OS from scracth again, and can only be used by using the installation cd, and following the ASR process.

But what is the difference otherwise between ASR and system state? Can you use ASR to restore AD? Or will you need system state backup and then go that route, even after performing ASR?

I seem to recall that I've read somewhere that ASR contains system state, is that true? Which means that after performing ASR you can restart the computer in directory services restore mode, and then go that route for restoring AD from the same (ASR) backup set?

Also system state apparently includes IIS metabase, but the IIS metabase is not specificially listed in ntbackup? Btw, what about backup and restore of WSUS configuration?`

final question, does system state include disk configuration information? Should have done all this in a lab, but did not get enough spare time to do so. icon_sad.gif

EDIT: nothing beats carrying out the tasks in good old lab practice. Found out the following:

ASR does contain system state.
System state does contain IIS metabase, but does not contain disk configuration information.

Still unsure about backing up Wsus configuration though.

EDIT 2: Got help from technet http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/c0f1a661-eb48-4156-81a2-267d846f844f1033.mspx?mfr=true

I guess you also have to back up the IIS metabase as well.
Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)