Options

Conference Room Speakers

flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got a request the other day that was your classic 'this isn't really IT related, but we'll assign it to IT because it has to do with electronics.'
I need to set up speakers in our conference room that output sound from any combination of a DVD player, laptop, and microphone during meetings and such. I'm sure installing such a device will be easy, but I'm unsure of the terminology so I'm having trouble locating something that will meet our needs.
I thinking this will be similar to a PA system or sound mixer where all devices plug into a centralized speaker input box and the speakers are the output. But what do you call the thing? I feel stupid speaking with our vendors trying to sound professional by saying, "I need a thing that all these things plug into and then sound come out and make everybody happy."
Any suggestions?
Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.

Comments

• Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    flares2 wrote:
    I got a request the other day that was your classic 'this isn't really IT related, but we'll assign it to IT because it has to do with electronics.'
    I need to set up speakers in our conference room that output sound from any combination of a DVD player, laptop, and microphone during meetings and such. I'm sure installing such a device will be easy, but I'm unsure of the terminology so I'm having trouble locating something that will meet our needs.
    I thinking this will be similar to a PA system or sound mixer where all devices plug into a centralized speaker input box and the speakers are the output. But what do you call the thing? I feel stupid speaking with our vendors trying to sound professional by saying, "I need a thing that all these things plug into and then sound come out and make everybody happy."
    Any suggestions?

Receiver? I know in home theater terms it is called a receiver.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are looking for an audio/video (a/v) receiver and amplifier.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, common sense wins again. I need a 'receiver.' Can't believe I didn't think of that.
    But like they say, there's no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask them.
    Thanks guys.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    flares2 wrote:
    Wow, common sense wins again. I need a 'receiver.' Can't believe I didn't think of that.
    But like they say, there's no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask them.
    Thanks guys.

to simplify things, Id recommend finding a laptop with built-in DVD-ROM player. Once less piece of equipment to set up.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security