New Member Here!

a543047a543047 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
New member here! I've been reading posts here for quite some time now and I figured it was time to join! Here is a brief summary of me:

1. Recently finished CCNP track

2. Working as a network engineer for a university

3. Began studying for IE Written about 5-6 weeks ago

Here is my study outline for my IE Written:

Will read the following literature:

Cisco LAN Switching
Developing IP Multicast Networks, Volume I
Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition)
Routing TCP/IP, Volume II
Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide

I actually just finished TCP/IP Vol. I and it took about 5 weeks. In addition, I am using IEWB Vol. I with the DocCD and the IE Advanced Technologies CoD to learn all of the technologies. I have already finished the core technologies and will be going through the WB at least 2-3 more times. My first milestone should be in July where I will have read all of the above books/videos and completed the core technologies WB at least 3-4 times and will be ready to pass the written exam. Although this may be overkill for the written I figure it will only help for my lab studies.

For routers I am using Dynamips and I have 3x 3550s and 1x 3750 at work for switching.

I know some people don't like the workbooks as some candidates just memorize configs and do not learn the technologies. But I know what I know and am well on my way to mastering all the core technologies. I'll only **** myself if I just memorize configs...

My employer has already purchased IEWB Vol. II so I'll be using it when I'm ready for lab prep.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those that are or have been on the same track!

TK
CCIE #22769
Routing and Switching
Service Provider

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck. There's nothing wrong with using workbooks in the manner you intend to use them. You need worked examples of topology and technologies interacting to study and a workbook means you don't have to think everything up which can often lead to frustration as there is only so much you can expect to know off the bat. Combine your workbook studies with practical assembly of technologies described in books like Doyle and Solie and you should go far. The main thing is observation in my opinion, dont rush labs, use the debugs and see for yourself how things work in terms of hellos, neighbors, adjacencies and effects on the routing table.

Historically a lot of people have spent a lot of money on multiple workbooks only to rush the labs and attempt to memorise the configurations which is somewhat futile. Take your time with your studies and you may not require too many trips to the lab.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah it's not a good idea to just memorize the solutions to the workbooks because there are an unlimited number of scenerios that they can throw at you and you can't remember them all. It may work for things like IP services or multicast, but will be a waste of time on the switching, IGP, EGP (BGP), QoS and security sections for sure.

Welcome to the forums.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome, it sounds nice that the employer's are paying for some things. :)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    Welcome to the forums, and good luck on your journey!
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • a543047a543047 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! Yea, I managed to get my employer to pay for the training material minus the Cisco Press books which I wanted to keep anyway. Hopefully Turgon and I will have our numbers like dtlokee!
    CCIE #22769
    Routing and Switching
    Service Provider
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the forum! :D

And good luck on your journey!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavors! icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a543047 wrote:
    Thanks everyone! Yea, I managed to get my employer to pay for the training material minus the Cisco Press books which I wanted to keep anyway. Hopefully Turgon and I will have our numbers like dtlokee!

ouch ... mann ...

after sometime off of the forum - i did not realize the IE# next to dt's badges :D

CONGRATS DT ... icon_thumright.gif

and for you too a543047 ... and for the rest too :D

cheers!!!
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.