CCNA Newbie - Lab Setup Question - Updated Question!

dottore11dottore11 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys - before I get into this post, let me just say I have read the FAQ and thoroughly searched.. and well, I'm thoroughly confused =] Here goes.

I'm a student at our high school's cisco networking academy, currently in the second semester of it. Unfortunately, our school doesn't offer the other 2 semesters, so I will have to independent study those. The lab at school I've been working at has 2 2501s and 2 switches, I think 1900 series... Yeah pretty basic. I've decided to begin gathering equipment for a home lab, as I enter the more advanced labs and began studying.

I have a budget of 300-400 dollars max. I need to know:

How helpful are having 3 routers for your CCNA? I think I probably will want to go on for a CCNP, but I am still a little uncertain. I definitely want to pursue the CCNA though. Can one of the three act as a frame relay switch in the setup, or that doesn't count?

Basically, I am trying to decide which of the following configs to buy:

- 3 2500 series routers and a cheap switch (1900 or something)
- 2 2500 series routers and a 2610
- Or something you recommend! I'm totally new to this, so based on my budget, what would you buy?

What do I miss by only having two routers? Would it be hard to pass CCNA with only two?

Thanks all.

David

Comments

• freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    As I recall, three are routers are really helpful, especially if you want to make one your Frame Relay Switch. Doing the Frame Relay Switch is highly recomended. Some of the routing labs are really helped by having three routers.
    2500's are good budget routers, and will do for CCNA studies. But as you progress to CCNP and beyond, they will be more and more limited in what they can do.
    Based on a $300-400 budget, I'd get one or two 2500's with at least 12.1 IOS. Be very careful to make sure that they have at least IOS 12.1; 12.2 is better. Also look for 16mb-ram and 16mb-flash.
    Get at least one 2600 with a 12.2 IOS so you can do trunking with the switches. Any additional 2600 routers you can get will only help. Max out on the RAM/flash if you can buy it that way. 32/16, I believe on the ram/flash is enough.
    Get a 2500 that can be used as a frame relay switch, one that has at least 4 serial ports. 2520, 2521, 2522, 2523 are several models that should work.
    I'd also get at least one 2924XL switch or a 2950; two would be better.

Don't forget the cables. DB60's, patch cables, power cables, console cables, etc.
    Don't forget to price shipping with the hardware. It can change a good buy into a bad deal if the shipping is too high.

Be patient and shop carefully, especially on eBay. I've seen the same model go for $130 one day and $30 the next.
    Be wary of buying kits, they're usually overpriced and have inferior components. Do your homework before you buy.

Hope this helps
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did you check to see if any local colleges offer CCNA? If they do then try to see if you can duel enroll into the college for semesters 3 and 4. If you can then the school you goto should pay for the classes but I'm not sure about the books. I was in the same situation where I took CCNA 1 and 2 but I had to goto Davenport University to take 3 and 4. I didn't end up taking them because Davenport moved more south of the city to a bigger building and it would have been hard to goto high school and Davenport because of distance and time.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dottore11dottore11 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, I've been doing some shopping and I may end up enlarging my budget just a little ;)

Here's a possible list of equipment, could you tell me if this would work?

Cisco 2520 - (Frame Relay)
    Cisco 2950 Switch (Trunking and Good Switch Labs)
    WS-C2924C-XL-EN Switch (Is this ok for trunking and switch labs, or should I leave this out?)
    Cisco 2610 48/16 Memory - (All this has is a ethernet jack, do I need to add some type of card so I can connect it via serial? Or do I do ethernet to a switch or something? Sorry.)
    Cisco 2501

Plus I would need cables and any other modules that I need. I know I need DB60 cables to connect the 2501 to the 2520, but the 2610 I think I need an add-on.

If possible at the CCNA level, I'd love to either leave out one of the two switches entirely (purchase another later). Will the 2924 work for most of my labs or do I at least need to have that 2950?

Finally, I have the latest version of PacketTracer, so if that will do me for most of the switching labs at CCNA level, that would be great.

Sorry my questions are so complicated, but thank you for helping me.

David
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Everything looks good.
    WS-C2924C-XL-EN Switch (Is this ok for trunking and switch labs, or should I leave this out?)
    Yes, that should work. It also has the benefit of running ISL in addition to Dot1Q VLANS.
    Cisco 2610 48/16 Memory - (All this has is a ethernet jack, do I need to add some type of card so I can connect it via serial? Or do I do ethernet to a switch or something? Sorry.)
    Yes, you will have to get a serial add-in for the 2610 in order to run the Frame Relay Labs. I believe the add-in card is called a WIC-1T and can be had on eBay for ~$30.

Will the 2924 work for most of my labs or do I at least need to have that 2950?
    Really should have two switches for the EtherChannel and VLAN labs but if you keep one, keep the 2950. If you see a switch "screen shot" on CCNA question, it will be the 2950.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • dottore11dottore11 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I'm purchasing, I'm gonna try to get some good deals on ebay, then head to cablesandkits for anything else. :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dottore11 wrote:
    NO!!!!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30941
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    Don't get a 2924C... all they do is make it look like you've got more equipment in your rack. found this out the hard way.

If you want to get a 2900XL model, get the WS-C2924-XL-EN

There may be another 8 meg flash version that could be upgraded to the Enterprise IOS Software version...... but buyer beware -- the 4 meg flash version can't.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16922
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!