Options

What job do you guys do??

blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
Hi there, I'm just a tech support guy who is studying for his CCNA to try and become an engineer.

I've been with this forum for a short time but I feel that it has taught me soo much!

I have noticed that a few of the posters have an impressive cert list and just wondered what jobs you guys do and how long it took you to get where you are?

If you have no/few certs like me what job do you guys have?

Looking forward to finding out what you guys do bowing.gif
Currently studying:
CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
Everything. Twice ;)

Comments

• Options
    gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    Well I was field PC Tech for 5 year. Now i work for an ISP as a network tech support ll. I have been in this position for less than a year. They hire me with no experience at with cisco. I must say that before i got this job this was the field that i wanted but now that i am actually working on it i love it.

I have learned a lot both at work and on this site. I am currently studying for the ccna as well and after that am planing on getting the ccnp.
    ‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
    you'll never get it done"
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Director of Network Services for an organization that runs almost 24/7 with 1700 users in 11 buildings who may or may not belong to our windows domain.

I do routing, switching, firewalling, cabling, servers, backups, IIS, exchange, AD domain, purchasing, sometimes PC work, mac, and I program the Definity PBX. I have 2 help desk people who work under me and a DBA.

No, I wouldn't recommend it to others.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started in IT 2.5 years ago as a field tech for a gaming co. Worked there on a 4 month contract. Then from there I got my Net+ cert and a AS degree and got a higher level position as a systems admin. Then I got my CCNA and a BS in Data Comm. and just got a job as a network engineer and today was my second day on the job. I work on cisco switches, cisco routers, F5 LTM GTM, SSL, IpSec remote sites, BGP, EIGRP. Some of this I am pretty good with, some I still have to learn. Some pretty cutting edge stuff. Just work hard and be sharp and ambitous and you'll get where you want to go.

By the way I got the engineering position from someone on this site. Had I not been a frequent member here, I would have not been given the opportunity.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    official title is Data Network Engineer for an organization with around 2500 users in 90 sites some of who may or may not belong to our windows domain.
    links vary from isdn through to 100meg leased lines

been in IT around 10yrs now... done pretty much everything from helpdesk... through to 2nd\3rd and 4th line support
    supporting everything from office to highly complex financial systems including informix, sql and oracle dba's

have worked on n off with networking over the years started out on bay networks.... and moved through 3com and now cisco pretty much most of it...
    worked on small 10 users systems up to large 5K+ users in multi country systems

done some work in the past with PBX's systems migrated a system to voip

I currently do routing, switching, firewalling, cabling, exchange, AD domain, some Novell...
    and am currently rebuilding our DR sites......

all in all i LOVE it and am getting paid to work in the area that is one of my biggest hobbies...

BRING it on its ALL good.....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I am a Safety Coordinator for a Corning Optical Fiber plant.
    I also own my own computer and networking business.
    I got started in computers in 1998, got my A+ and started as a sales tech guy in a computer store. I went on to own the store with a partner, but sold it off and started my own buisiness.
    The IT department would love to have me, but they can't pay me as much as I'm making in my present job. Sad, very sad.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Netstudent wrote:
    and today was my second day on the job.

Wish you luck on your new job!

I work for an ISP as second line tech support, pretty boring really.

But hopefully the CCNA will get me into the comms room.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Contract Network Designer and Director of my own company.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I had an exciting, totally engaging, and upward moving career as a Jail Guard... NOT! Oh my god... what a glorious waste of 6 years of my life.

Finally, in '99, I got the okay from my bride to go back to school and pursue something else... picked IT. The course I took was a Network Technician 18-month program from CDI College. Great course... learned a tonne... and left with a couple MCP's, A+, N+, and a CCNA.

Moved through a couple support roles, before landing a junior AD/Exchange position back in '02 (which allowed me to score an MCSE in 2000, an MCSA 2003, and a Sec+). Stayed there until '05 when a network admin position opened up... been nothing but a network junky since then.

My current gig is Senior Network Admin for a university up here in Ontario. It's a 100% Nortel shop (to my disappointment), but the other technologies are phenomenal. Motorola Symbol wireless controllers... overseeing 330 wireless access points across 11 campus buildings, Checkpoint firewalls, Citrix Access Gateways for SSL VPN access, FortiGate IDS/IPS, PacketShapers at every border, and... a university/government/hospital connection via Sharcnet to the new Orion project. I don't know much about it yet, but dayum... downloading research packages that are 4Gb in 80 seconds.

It's neat stuff... thank god I made the move when I did.

Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    former WAN engineer (mpls, atm, frame relay, ospf), etc. now Cisco Voice Engineer. i do large scale ip telephony projects with all Cisco gear and some third party integrations.

just got over the hump of the CCNA the subject matter was so broad. I've already read most of the CCVP books, just for day to day use. I'm going for CCNP because I think VP would be easier. and I think CCNP is a good foundation of skills to have.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well my official title is IS Analyst, I'm just finishing my second week now and so far it's been great. I'm really a network analyst working for bayer, my team is in charge of monitoring all the 170+ North American sites, as well as some of the sites that span into Europe and collaborate with the Network team in Germany. So far I'm loving the step up I took when I took this position...I now have decide whether I want to goto a 5 day training of the BSCI or BCMSN. I think I may go with the BCMSN since without purchasing my own equipment that it may be easier having the training, the work I do in our lab here at work, and my own studies...I feel the BSCI will be easier to self study with the use of dynamips...
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    blackninja wrote:
    Netstudent wrote:
    and today was my second day on the job.

Wish you luck on your new job!

I work for an ISP as second line tech support, pretty boring really.

But hopefully the CCNA will get me into the comms room.

Looks like you're good to go. A CCNA will only bolster your current experience in the job market, and a further degree, like a CCNP, would really send you up. If you had no experience, I would have said don't waste your time on a CCNA(!)

Best wishes and good luck!
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949