Options

Working in the USA

MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm an MCT with both experience in the field and training at an MS gold partner (the DST and MCSE courses and now CCNA).

I'm a British citizen and I worked in Europe and really enjoyed it. I was considering either a technical or training role abroad again but as my only language is English my options are limited! I've thought about a stint in the US (maybe a year or so), I know the $ is weak at the moment but to be honest it would more about the experience than the cash.

With this in mind I was wondering if you have heard of Brits working in IT over in the US much? Whether it is a skill in demand and therefore getting a visa would be fine or if you're flooded with people and I stand no chance!

I appreciate this is a random question but if you guys do have any info or experiences to add that’d be great :D

Regards,

Mike

Comments

• Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    It doesn't sound like you have database experience, but a company I know is looking for a Senior Database Administrator from the U.K. that will have to do some travel back and forth between the U.S. and the U.K.

There are likely other companies with offices or seperate divisions in both Countries that could provide a nice balance for you.
  • Options
    Schluep wrote:
    It doesn't sound like you have database experience, but a company I know is looking for a Senior Database Administrator from the U.K. that will have to do some travel back and forth between the U.S. and the U.K.

There are likely other companies with offices or seperate divisions in both Countries that could provide a nice balance for you.

Yea, thanks for that, I don't have DB knowledge really so maybe not the one for me but it's pleasing to know that there are a few out there. I think i'd need a company to sponsor me, i can't just get a visa and then look for a job. I maybe wrong though.

I love the UK but just thought i'd try somewhere new before I am tied down with family commitments etc
  • Options
    aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're correct, you can't really just get a visa then go job hunting. If you could there wouldn't be quite so many people here illegally!! You would need sponsorship from a company or invest a sizable amount of cash and employ a number of citizens. Getting a work visa in the US based on anything is quite hard.

I'm originally from Ireland, now in Florida. My moving to the US wasn't work related but more to do with my wife being from Florida. Our process from applying for a fiancee visa to applying for a temporary work permit (so I could work while things where processed) and of course permanent residence was very long drawn out and cost a small fortune in filing fees alone. It'd have cost more if we used a lawyer! That was 3 years ago since we first filed for the visa for me... almost 3 years later I'm still only a "Conditional Permanent Resident"

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    doomiedoomie Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From another person who went through the nightmare called US Immigration three years ago (family based K1 visa, now permanent resident working up to Citizenship), I'll second aidan80's comments. Since then, they've tightened up even more on issuing visas, and of course increased the prices.

As Schluep said - try and join a multinational. At some point you may get the chance of working in the US. If you're lucky, you may even have the chance of working here for that company.

Unless you have skills which are very much in demand, and cannot be filled by local talent, then making the move to the US is still going to be almost impossible. It's easier to get blood out of a stone.
    Although, to further detract you, the 'in demand skills' (as categorized by the Immigration Services) mainly focus around such areas as engineering and medical research. If you happen to have advanced degrees, such as a Masters or PHd though, getting in should be slightly easier !

The amount of available visas via the H1-B sponsorship program, from what I understand, has also been reduced. Each year the allocation for next years visas are filled practically within a few hours of the program opening.
    There is the visa lottery program but unfortunately the UK isn't eligible, due to already being part of the US Visa Waiver program.

There is also a huge movement to try and keep US jobs in the US, by employing US people. Can you say jumping on the outsourcing to India (or where ever is 'fashionable')

Another huge problem is that there are just too many out of work IT staff right now. Saying that, I know many local companies here in Columbus (OH) are having issues filling positions. Skills shortage ? Yes ! Despite many people looking, they just don't have the required skills. Obvious thing to say, but you also need very good business and interpersonal skills, as well as your technical skills to get anywhere decent right now. Also, alot of these companies are looking for 'jack of all trades, master of none' people.
    One business owner actually complained about what is being taught in schools - he's seen people coming out of high schools and similar, certified up to the teeth, but having never having actually touched a router or similar. 120 resumes later, he's still looking for entry level networking/linux admin staff.

The decent jobs are out there, but you just have to hunt. I actually feel sorry for people getting into IT right now. Due to the much talked about recession here, starting salaries are down, but entry requirements are up. I've seen companies asking for BS, postgrad, MS degrees with an MCP at the bare minimum for 'helpdesk' jobs paying $20,000 a year....

If you want to make money, go into something like solving the up and coming world wide energy crisis. No electricity, no IT ! Even wages in 'safe' jobs like Healthcare are down, and that's including doctors. Anyway, I digress....

That said, I've just joined a large IT Consultancy company here in Columbus, on contract right now to a very large multinational bank. I have no 'industry' certs, nor degree to really speak of, just alot of experience in different areas, and being a 'jack of all trades'. From what i've come across, I am no way unique, so it's possible. Well, these are my thoughts and views, so may differ from everyone else.

Anyway, before this turns into a thesis, have a look on www.visajourney.com
    You'll see how difficult, long, and expensive it's become for people who are trying to immigrate into the US, and thats even with a valid reason for doing so. There are similar people on there discussing the issues they've found getting jobs here, even being a legal alien !

Hope this hasn't bored anyone..

Thanks,
    Me
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike,

have you considered australia?

you can get a working holiday visa that lets you pick up work in 3 month blocks.

it is more aimed at people looking for a career break that may want to do a little work along the way.

the demand for contractors in oz is appears to be high but I could be wrong, to give yourself an idea check out www.seek.com.au

if you manage to contract it is possible for the company you to sponsor you if they're prepared to do it.

all the best

Malc
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try New Zealand also very peaceful place on earth
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    If you are not an MD, then it's really hard to start a career in the US, specially in IT. Here in my country, the biggest telephone companies are having a hard hard time keeping their big investments CCIEs, they are all being offered mad money jobs in the US, and some even in Asia for big US-europe countries.

For other careers, specially engineering, you really need to have a degree in a US university. Many of my friends went to the US to get their master's when we finished our B.S (civil engineers) and all of them who wanted to stay stood there and are making quite decent money.

the process was expensive but since they started very close to 60K/year it wasnt something impossible (they paid in average 5K USD to get the visa).

I was talking the other day to some guy who is a friend of one of the 2-3 CCIEs in the country (Dominican Republic) and he told me he recently went to a new company that is preparing to start business soon here, but he is being flooded with offers from different companies from the US.

As some suggested, you really need to be or have skills that are hard to get in the US. Have in mind that the unemployment rate for people holding a master's in the US is about 2%, with certain cities being under 1%. I am sure th unemployment rate of the CCIEs is 0% :D. Even CCNPs with plenty of experience are in high demand in the US. Maybe this is the best path for somebody looking for a place in the US job market.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    It really depends on where you want to go. Some markets have room for people, some don't...for example Los Angeles might be slap full of MCT's or whatever you want to do...while Houston might need a bunch.

Its a regional thing I think. The country is so different wherever you go. Hell, if you want to work anywhere in the underbelly or south florida, English may not help you that much at all :p
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    brad- wrote:
    It really depends on where you want to go. Some markets have room for people, some don't...for example Los Angeles might be slap full of MCT's or whatever you want to do...while Houston might need a bunch.

Its a regional thing I think. The country is so different wherever you go. Hell, if you want to work anywhere in the underbelly or south florida, English may not help you that much at all :p

Well, I have been travelling to Miami often adn I swear I have seen more than one big sign saying "WE SPEAK ENGLISH". I seriously LOLed.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    Hey thanks guys for your advice. Particularly those who have gone through it all, as you've written detailed and helpful accounts. I have to say that maybe it's not something I'll peruse given some of the research I've been through and comments (here and elsewhere!). To be honest it was just an idea, I think sometimes we here in Europe don't appreciate what being in the EU means, where we can just work in whichever country in the EU regardless of visa or permits etc. :D

Australia is definitely a consideration, I do hear that they are crying out for IT staff! Or i could just work in London, it's pretty much like a foreign country to rest of the UK anyway! icon_lol.gif