Options

Which IT field would be best for me?

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Do you know of any method or test or soemhting to find out which It field I would be best at?

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Really no way to tell. It's personal for everyone. Find something your good at and learn it. If you want into IT for the money, then don't get to excited. While the jobs can pay well, you'll need years of experience to back it up.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I suggest taking a few COMPTIA tests. They are very general tests that cover alot of the baseline knowledge you will need to succeed in the each test's specific area. After taking (or even just studying for) the various tests you will have a better understanding of what you like or dislike. Combine that with what you do best at and you have found yourself a potential career. As many will suggest, do what you like. That is the only was you are going to build a longterm career, and ensure longterm happiness.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are still in school (High school or college), your career center might be of assistance. I know I sat down with my advisor and he did a great job explaining what certain types of jobs entailed.

Either way, you probably won't get that ideal job your first try. Get exposure to IT and you should eventually find your niche.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, be sure to read through older threads from all the different forums. You'll be amazed at the amount of interesting information you come across. My interested in security piqued a great deal after going through the security forum.

Also, try going to a book store and paging through various books. Browse through Wikipedia and all the exam vendor websites. There's a wealth of information out there. Expose yourself to as much as possible and see what interests you the most.