Options

Starting up home lab Routers and Switches

LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
I've just got the green light from my significant other to start purchasing equipment for my home lab to study for the CCNA. Searching here on the forums seems to be hit or miss. But what I have gathered so far I should have atleast three routers and atleast one, preferrably two, switches.

My concern right now is if I buy three 2610 or 2611 routers I will need a WIC-1T or WIC-2T interfaces to hook them up together; OR perhaps NM-4A/S? When searching ebay should this be my primary concern that they have these modules already installed?

Also Im confused as to what switch would be best for my studies. Primarily concerned with VLANs and trunking, to get familiar running the commands to pass the test. Still hazy on what would be best a 2924 or 2950 switch?

As for study routines and test taking, Im at about 75% on all the mock test and examines I take that are provided free online. Are the Boson practice test worth investing in? I would much rather put money toward a home lab than shelling out cold cash to simulators.

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    You'll also need to make sure whatever 2600's you buy have enough RAM/Flash to run a newer IOS and come with a decent version (assuming you can't get them from cisco).
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i would be safe and pick up 2950s if you can.

also, i prefer NM-4A/S to WIC-1T simply because you get 4 interfaces for the price of 1.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i would be safe and pick up 2950s if you can.

also, i prefer NM-4A/S to WIC-1T simply because you get 4 interfaces for the price of 1.

Also, with NM-4A/S or the NM-8A/S; you could use that as your frame switch.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    So let's answer these in turn and pull together the info you have so far:
    1. If your significant other approved these purchases, stick with her. She's a keeper.
    2. Of you get any 2600, you'll need to buy a serial interface. A single is a WIC-1T (the WIC 2T uses a different, more expensive interface and cable), and at least one of the 2600's will need a Serial-4A/s or a Serial-8A/S, like phantasm says, so that you can turn one into a frame relay switch.
    3. nlabelle made a good point. Make sure that you get enough flash and RAM to run a decent IOS. 64ram and 32flash is the max, and I recommend the investment in the max. Also make sure that the 2600's come with at least IOS 12.1 or higher. Don't buy it without a "sh ver" to look at.
    4. Some 2900's will work, but the differences are confusing. A 2950 is the safe bet, like Darthn3ss says.
    5. Don't forget the DB60 cables (back-to-back) for the WIC 1T, power cables and patch cables (straight and crossover).
    6. Don't get the simulator AND the home lab. Three routers and two switches can run most of the labs you need, dynamips can probably cover for the rest.
    Hope this helps and props to all the previous contributors to this thread.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.