Options

Using the Lammle book for CCENT

korazairkorazair Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I purchased Todd Lammle's CCNA (since the CCENT book isn't out yet) but I plan on taking the 2 test approach... how hard is it to use this book for the CCENT without having to read the entire thing?

Comments

• Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I am not very familiar with Lammle's book, but the Odom book lays out a plan for a one-test or two-test approach. Check the book out and I'm guessing it does the same thing.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I think it is good for either option. But when you finish studying for the CCENT you'll be actually almost halfway prepared for the ICND2, because there are a few subjects that just require more in depth study for the icnd2. I bought that book and it's great. I havent taken either exam but i think the book is an awesome reference and the concepts are explained masterfully imo.

You will end up studying most of the book for the ccent. You just need to leave out most of the security part, most of the Wan chapter, IPv6, EIGRP, IS-IS, OSPF...i you do it like that it will take you more time than if you study an specific ICND1 book but having checked many of them in the past 4 weeks I can tell you wont go wrong studying from that book. Besides, the ultimate goal is learning and most certainly your inmediate goal is the CCNA, right? Just get to cisco web page and check both exam topics.

Good Luck!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

According to Todd Lammle's Blog post, the chapters you need to study to prepare for your CCENT are:
    Chapters 1 - 5, 7, beginning of 9, beginning of 10, 12 and 14.

You can also check http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html for a list of topics that you need to know (just to make sure that you're studying the right topics).
  • Options
    yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You might be better off with the Odom book. I found there were quite a few basic (but maybe not so important) questions for the first ICND1 book, which I couldn't even answer in the "Do you know this already?" section of the first few chapters, which are not covered in the Lamelle book.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)