Options

Adobe flash player

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
I'm on a Vista machine and when flash in enabled and I"m on a website that has flash my typing is messed up. I disable flash and it works fine. LIke if I'm typin in my login name to a website, it'll skip letters that i'm typin. Anyone seen any problems like this? I got the latest windows updates and adobe flash version. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    It sounds like your browser is really struggling to play the Flash animation to the point where it's dropping keyboard input. Can you display the non-Flash-enabled version of the same Web page and check if the problem goes away?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd also recommend trying it in a different browser. I've had flash on some web pages in Opera cause my CPU usage to max out and I'd have to disable plugins for that site to get things working in Opera again, but the same pages would work fine in IE. You also might want to try an older version of flash.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? The reason I am asking is because flash player is currenly not supported for 64 bit browsers (the default browser for Vista 64 bit is IE 64 bit). If you are using 64 bit Vista simply use the 32 bit version of IE (already installed) or any other 32 bit browser of your choice and it might work better. For me at least it usually won't play or prompt me to install flash player (since the 64 bit browser doesn't recognize it).

Your issue sounds differen in that it is dropping the keyboard input, but I thought I would mention it just in case since you said Vista. I use a 32 bit browser for any web content requiring flash player for the time being.

It could be something in the design of that website or your system is taxed trying to load the flash content.
  • Options
    It's 32-bit Vista. And Yes, JD, when I disable flash the keyboard input is fine.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    I'm not a Flash developer, but I'll say that the Flash object on that page needs some optimization. I've only found a few heavy-duty Flash sites that seemed to periodically lock of the browser, and at least one had serious problems the developer admitted to. The same problems occurred in both IE7 and FF, so you using a different browser for that site probably won't help wither.
  • Options
    it's myspace.com that's giving me the problems. that's the only website i've noticed it on. you know of any workarounds JD?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I often open new pages is a new tab, I am not sure about the experience of others, but I found that trying to surf myspace in this manner seems to crash most every browser I have tried to throw at it.

This frustration has nearly caused me to give up stalking people online.