Options

Which Comes First

vcon790vcon790 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings All,

Which is processed first. A mandatory user profile or a group policy linked to the OU where the account resides? I say the profile first, then the GPO, but cannot seem to find much info on this process.

Comments

• Options
    nazzeemnazzeem Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I might be wrong but I think the GPO is first. Isnt profiles only processed after logging in and the policies before logging in. Especially machine policies.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This might be what you are looking for:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/274e614e-f515-4b80-b794-fe09b5c21bad1033.mspx?mfr=true

Summarized from link:
    1. The user presses CTRL-ALT-DEL to log on.

2. After the user is validated, the user profile loads; it is governed by the policy settings that are in effect.

3. An ordered list of GPOs is obtained for the user.

4. User policy is applied. These are the settings under User Configuration from the gathered list. GPOs are processed in the following order: local, site, domain, organizational unit, child organizational unit, and so on.

5. Logon scripts run.

6. The operating system user interface that is prescribed by Group Policy appears.

There are exceptions and special circumstances, so be sure and read the article for detailed information.

HTH :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    vcon790vcon790 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info :P