Options

Patience pays off..too bad I don't have any..

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey all. So, I flashed my WRT54G firmware earlier to DD-WRT, and was having a ridiculous amount of problems getting the couple of users coming off my wireless network to connect, so I decided to go back to the Linksys firmware. The reason I flashed it, is I have a copy of Solarwinds engineer edition from my work, that I want to play with. I used Solarwinds/SNMPc in Iraq for a solid 15 months, and got a lot of hands on experience with, but I wanted to play around and go more in depth. I had read that DD-WRT supports SNMP, so I figured that work. There's no use monitoring something if no users can access the network, so....

I tried flashing to OpenWRT, since the default linksys firmware wouldn't work. I guess I had a corrupt image, or something, because after that, my router stopped booting completely. It'd power on, then hang. I got frustrated, went out and bought a Belkin wireless router to get the network up.

As soon as I got back, I finally got DD-WRT to flash back onto the WRT54G. Granted, it's not what I was trying to do, but the router works now..and I now have a spare wireless router.

I'm $40 poorer..and feel like a tard. I guess now I have a spare to play with...

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Hey all. So, I flashed my WRT54G firmware earlier to DD-WRT, and was having a ridiculous amount of problems getting the couple of users coming off my wireless network to connect, so I decided to go back to the Linksys firmware. The reason I flashed it, is I have a copy of Solarwinds engineer edition from my work, that I want to play with. I used Solarwinds/SNMPc in Iraq for a solid 15 months, and got a lot of hands on experience with, but I wanted to play around and go more in depth. I had read that DD-WRT supports SNMP, so I figured that work. There's no use monitoring something if no users can access the network, so....

I tried flashing to OpenWRT, since the default linksys firmware wouldn't work. I guess I had a corrupt image, or something, because after that, my router stopped booting completely. It'd power on, then hang. I got frustrated, went out and bought a Belkin wireless router to get the network up.

As soon as I got back, I finally got DD-WRT to flash back onto the WRT54G. Granted, it's not what I was trying to do, but the router works now..and I now have a spare wireless router.

I'm $40 poorer..and feel like a tard. I guess now I have a spare to play with...

Yeah, well you should have seen the ghost I was trying to chase down this morning.... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,050 Admin
    Why don't you return the Belkin for a refund?
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I could but....I'm horrible about refunds...I hate the idea of spending more time in the store (I absolutely hate shopping, unless it's online, and it's for routers/books/eletronics).

Plus, I don't mind having a backup. I just feel stupid for making an impulse purchase, only to find that I got my linksys working. I still haven't figured out why the users can't access the linksys though, so I will try to get that straight, and then swap them out eventually.