Options

OS X Based on Linux Kernel?

KikodeKikode Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I got the A+ exam cram becuase of the practice tests 30 bucks at the book store I figured it cant help. Most of the questions and answers seem legite compared to there N+ one which was horrendous. Anywho one of the questions for the IT 602 Test asks what Kernel Mac OS X was based on. Ok we all know the GUI is proprietary but the question says it's based on Linux kernel. I could have sworn it has and always was based on a Unix kernel. Can someone shed some light on this. It probably wont be on the test but I'm curious.
Also I have both tests scheduled for this Tuesday so I will post back as well whether I passed and my thoughts on the test. Wish me luck icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    chrisdugganchrisduggan Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had that question in a test paper. Answer was UNIX. No mention of Mac in the test however.
    Best of luck with it all, i shouldnt think you will have too many problems :)
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    To my knowledge is is based off of BSD which is Berkly's unix distribution.
  • Options
    I just noticed a typo when I said it can't help I meant to say can't hurt but I'm begining to think I was right in the first place ;) Thanks for the info I wont research it much further then but Sometimes it appears there to much misinformation about stuff in the tech community. For example when I was studying for my Network + there were all type of figures floating about about the segment lengths of different network media types. One of these days I'm gonna write a book and It's major selling point will be that research was actually done before printing information. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To my knowledge is is based off of BSD which is Berkly's unix distribution.

Yep.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Mac OS X is based on the Mach kernel and is derived from the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) implementation of Unix in Nextstep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
  • Options
    Thnx m8 that was a very informative article.