Options

GNS3

ManglianManglian Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi every one, I am preparing for CCNA and downloaded GNS3 ALL-IN-ONE to practise SDM. Although I have installed SDM already in my desktop.My PC has become very slow as I have 2.99 GHz and 1.00 GB RAM in my PC. I installed IOS 3460 uncompressed (.bin file). Before I want to install another image my PC is dead slow. what to do ? any help would be much appreciated.

Secondly, I have old cisco 2500 series router (2516). does it support SDM (Security Device Manager)?.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you set the IdlePC values?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Thanks mikej412 and dtlokee

dtlokee : No i have not when I type any thing in console pannel it does not respond or may be i m making mistake.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    In addition to setting the Idle PC value, it might help to close out of other programs, including anything that might be hiding in the system tray -- GNS is memory intensive. Would it be feasibly to get another gig of RAM for the PC?
  • Options
    GNS3 adds way too much over head. I can run a lot more routers using Dynamips/Dynagen. No need for all the gui stuff, just a waste of your computers recources.

What I have gathered GNS3 is not worth the effort we can use only Dynagen.
    will it help bring CPU Usage considerable down ? especially when I need two ios images in my given PC
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would just use dynagen/dynamips. I have used GNS3, and have it installed, but it complicates something that is pretty simple IMO.

If you haven't set the idlepc values in dynamips do this:

Set up a 2 router lab..open it. Once you get the prompt:

= >

Type "list"..it should show both routers running. Stop one of the routers by typing "Stop <routername>". Once that is stopped, telnet into the only running router by typing "telnet <routername>". Once the IOS is completely loaded, and it looks solid..press Ctrl + Alt + Del..to monitor your CPU usage. It's probably anywhere from 50% and higher with one router and no idlepc. Type "idlepc get <routername>". It'll take a while, and present you with a list of different idlepc values. The one with the asterisk next to it is the "suggested" value. Try that one first, by entering the number next to it, and hitting enter. Your CPU usage should drop dramatically. If it doesn't drop that much, type "idlepc show <router name>", and keep repeating until you get it where you want it. Finally, type "idlepc save <routername> db". Now, type "start <routername of the router you stopped earlier>"..your CPU usage should be dramatically lower than before...

I don't have dynamips open right now but that's a pretty rough guide. Good luck to you..
  • Options
    Dear all, I have downloaded dynamip/Dynagen now problem is if i click simple1.net file as directed in totorial http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm#_Toc176827649
    it gives error although i open dynamips server first error is in Dynagen dos prompt
    ***Error:unable to start UM instance " R1"
    See dynamip for output for more info.

Please point me in the writh direction so that I could get to Router CLI
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    make sure that the .net file you are opening has the correct path to the IOS image you are trying to use..that will cause the error you received. Unless you've already done it, it's using the default path, which is not going to work for you. Open the .net file in notepad, and you'll see the IOS path I'm referring to. Here is a slice of the simple1.net I have..

# Simple lab

[localhost]

image = C:\Program Files\Dynamips\images\ios-7200\c7200-jk9su2-mz.123-23.bin
    # On Linux / Unix use forward slashes:
    # image = \Program Files\Dynamips\images\ios-7200\c7200-jk9su2-mz.123-23.bin
    npe = npe-400
    ram = 160
    idlepc = 0×60530abc

Also, notice, the 7200..this will expect a 7200 image. If you are using a 3640, you need to replace the 7200 with "3640" as well as changing the image = path. Yours probably will not have the idlepc set manually like mine does, but the rest should be close.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply , but where is my ios 7200 do i need to download or does it come as default with dynamips
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    You have to get the IOS images by some legal means -- since they're property of cisco, you can't just copy them -- treat them like (most) software from Microsoft or any other company. This typically means you have to have a support contract with cisco.