Changing Incoming or Outgoing VPN port

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Anyone know if its possible to do this?

(Its between a XP VPN Server and Vista Home Premuim Client)

I know how to change the RDP ports but not a way to change VPN ports.

Basically I just want to 'dial' a different port from the Vista machine rather than default of 1723 and have my router forward this to 1723 on the internal XP Server. JUst to hide it slightly more from script kiddies, I know its not worth a lot but every little helps huh??

Cheers in advance.

Note: Something that might also need to be considered is that the Router IP is dynamic from the ISP and is setup with DYNDNS so I dial VPN Server through 'something.something.com'
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know of any way to change the listening (or originating) port/socket on any OS for PPTP connections. There's a lot more going on in PPTP than just shooting packets across port 1723. Remember you're also using IP Protocol 47 (GRE) in addition to TCP Port 1723. You can google RFC 1171, RFC 1701 and RFC 1702 for the IETF information on PPTP and GRE.

Also, here is an old (NT4) white paper from MS that will give you a better understanding of PPTP.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/plan/pptpudst.mspx?mfr=true

But in answer to your question - I don't think it's possible.

HTH. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Many thanks and thank you for taking the time to take a look for me, i'll have a read up on that whitepaper. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools