A Perfect NAS for home use.

ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a solid networkable backup device. What are you using?
Do you think this is a good one?

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-pro-duo/

Anything better in this price range?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comments

• Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    yea ive seen those. i was installing an asa once and i accidentally unplugged that nas. the guy didn't care but he said it takes 6 hours to come back online or something
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    yea ive seen those. i was installing an asa once and i accidentally unplugged that nas. the guy didn't care but he said it takes 6 hours to come back online or something

6 hours???????????
    Wow, that changes a lot.. :)
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you're going to find a much better price than that. Don't you have some old box you could load Linux on and throw in a couple of drives? It probably just takes 6 hours to verify the array if it's not shutdown properly. You should still be able to use it; it just won't change it's status to "online" or whatever until it completes the check. It will probably be significantly slower until that is done as well.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Aquabat wrote:

I don't know about the LinkStation but I'm calling BS on that. We have 2 Buffalo Terra Stations where I work and they run beautifully. They take a few minutes to boot up but not hour(s). Though it does seem like it sometimes :)

For a really cheap solution you could do what I've done at home. Take an older computer (In my case an old P3) install a couple hard drives and install OpenFiler (which is a free download).

I have not had any issues with OpenFiler.

EDIT*
    dynamik: You're probably right about the array verification... I have not shut down our Buffalo NAS servers down improperly, however I have been forced to shutdown our Adaptec Snap Server NAS down improperly, and they do take forever to verify the array, however you are still able to continue Read/Writes during this process.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    How about the Drobo?

They have finally added a network feature making this more of an option.

www.drobo.com
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Drobo's definitely a cool little product. The only reason I didn't mention it is because it seemed like it was a little out of his price range. If you have a little extra money to put into this, definitely give that consideration.
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    we have a few tera station pro's and have no issues with them
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get yourself some old hardware sling in a few big drives and install a copy of Freenas

It's a small linux distro which is a doodle to use!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "