Options

What does BNC really mean?

nitekramnitekram Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been reading and getting ready for the A+ test, but now I am not sure. I have found more than one location that says that
BNC= bayonet nut connector
BNC= bayonet naur connector
BNC= British Navel connector
BNC= British Naval connector
Please let me know which one is correct!
"Sometimes you have to go bak to where you started, to get to where you need to go."

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The first and the fourth you mentioned are correct, the third is definitely incorrect, I never heard of the 2nd either but...

Here is a reference which mentions even another one: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BNC_connector.html

Anyway, I think British Naval Connector is most common.
  • Options
    nitekramnitekram Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The third was listed when I did a search. I guess some other people spell it that way. Any thanks, I guess I will have to learn them all. Are there any other ambiguous terms to watch out for?
    Thanks...
    "Sometimes you have to go bak to where you started, to get to where you need to go."
  • Options
    bearingbearing Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    The first and the fourth you mentioned are correct, the third is definitely incorrect, I never heard of the 2nd either but...

Here is a reference which mentions even another one: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/BNC_connector.html

Anyway, I think British Naval Connector is most common.

This is one of those mythical questions, I'd actually heard of the Bayonet-Neill-Concelman version before, but like you I usually plump for the British-Naval-Connector.
    Welcome to Royston Vasey, You'll never leave!
  • Options
    nasimiyunasimiyu Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    visit www.webopedia.com they have a great glossary
    I hope the following info helps...good luck :D

Short for British Naval Connector or Bayonet Nut Connector or Bayonet Neill Concelman, a type of connector used with coaxial cables such as the RG-58 A/U cable used with the 10Base-2 Ethernet system. The basic BNC connector is a male type mounted at each end of a cable. This connector has a center pin connected to the center cable conductor and a metal tube connected to the outer cable shield. A rotating ring outside the tube locks the cable to any female connector.
    BNC T-connectors (used with the 10Base-2 system) are female devices for connecting two cables to a network interface card (NIC). A BNC barrel connector allows connecting two cables together.

BNC connectors can also be used to connect some monitors, which increases the accuracy of the signals sent from the video adapter.
  • Options
    thauskinsthauskins Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is the answer I found from the QRZ.com trivia questions.

Bayonet Niell Concelman

Bayonet type of connector named after its inventors Paul Niell & Carl Concelman. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    robfar23robfar23 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why it's never stood for Bayonet NETWORK Connector totally amazes me!!
  • Options
    thepureintheheartthepureintheheart Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The BNC (Bayonet Neill-Concelman) connector is a very common type of RF connector used for terminating coaxial cable.
    BNC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)
    DANCE like nobody's watching,
    LOVE like you've never been hurt,
    SING like nobody's listening,
    LIVE like it's heaven on earth,
    and WORK like you don't need the money.
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    British Naval Connector is the correct terminology! Trust me, I'm old enough to remember installing them on Novell networks!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The Wikipedia article on BNC connectors is very interesting.

And way to dredge-up a thread that was posted before even I was a member. icon_lol.gif