Options

sigverif.exe !!!!!

MarkieMarkie Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys.

Just a quick one on the File Signature Verification utility.

I always thought that this utility was used to scan a computer to see if there are any unsigned drivers being used/loaded by windows (i.e. the c:\windows\system32 folder).

However, its since come to my attention that it may be possible to scan a driver for a signiture before it has been installed (after having downloaded it from the manufacturer's site, uncompressed it and then saved it to a folder).

Although, this feature makes a lot of sense to me, I have not been able to verify that it is in fact possible.

Could someone please confirm whether it is in fact possible to use sigverif.exe to scan a driver for a signiture before it has been installed.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
The oxen is slow but the earth is patient!!!!

Comments

• Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like you can. Launch the program, click the advanced button, and choose look for other files and choose your folder or drive. :)
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Who the hell puts unsigned drivers on their computer anyways?

Aren't most manufacturer drivers signed?

If you lock down the computer so nobody can install drivers with proper permission then worrying about unsigned drivers becomes nil.

Never made sense to me.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You've never used unsigned drivers? I haven't built a system for a little bit, but I usually encounter at least one unsigned driver (I think it's usually audio; sometimes nVidia graphics) when I've built a system in the past. This is for 32-bit Windows XP using the supplied driver CD (yes I download updated drivers immediately). I've never had a problem. It just means that the driver hasn't gone through MS's certification process; it's usually not a big of deal if it's from a reputable vendor. However, I am knowledgeable enough to know how to fix a bad driver installation. I can certainly see the need to restrict users from installing drivers as they desire.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:
    Who the hell puts unsigned drivers on their computer anyways?

Never heard of HP printers I guess? Most times MS doesn't come up with drivers for HP printers until a year after the new printers come out.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I used both HP printers and built systems and don't usually have problems with unsigned drivers.

Every place I worked for always bought older equipment(HP printers) and such.

I checked my systems at work and they have 0 unsigned drivers.

Most of the companies I worked for never purchased the "brand new" model of anything.
    Unsigned drivers have been the least of my worries.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills