Options

Need Advice on IT Jobs

chelchchelch Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently just aquired my A+ cert. I am trying to find something entry level in a helpdesk\desktop support role.

I am worried that the A+ cert I have is not going to be good enough to at least just get my foot in the door and get some experience. Should I just keep applying to anything I can find or should I try a different route, like trying a recruiter or a headhunter? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Depending on where you live, it may not be enough. In the Northeast US, A+ didn't help me a whole lot. I went workless for almost a year before I got what I do now, which did require the A+ cert. I don't know why they wanted me to be A+, I've yet to use any skill learned in what I do. Anyway, ask yourself what you want to do for a career. Figure that out, then pick your cert path. For work, take what you can, but don't waste your time with a job that will get you nowhere in IT. Also, a recruiter can help with the search, but you may make less than desireable money with a middleman.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    MwgamerMwgamer Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im in a similar situation as yourself. I have the paper certs but no real on the job experience. I almost have my AS degree in computer science with a strong networking background. So Im just staying current with the new technologies and continue to work on my certifications. Once the jobs start picking up Im sure more entry level jobs will open as the more experienced people progress to the next tier of open jobs. Well thats my hope anyways ;)
  • Options
    JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    Keep trying trying tryin trying .... (to infinity) until you hit gold. If nothing works out, I suggest the following tips:

1. Learn to make fries
    2. Learn to turn hamburger and chicken patties
    3. Learn to spread catsup and mustard evenly
    4. Learn to slice onions and tomatoes
    5. Learn to clean and shake apart lettuce
    6. Learn the variety of milk shakes provided
    7. Learn the various sizes of soft drinks sold
    8. Learn the register keys for each meal
    9. Learn to mix the proper mopping detergents
    10. Smile and say "Please come again!"

In no time will you be an MCSE, a McDonald's Certified SErvicer!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • Options
    tremeretremere Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Joel, that is classic icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif