No security on CBTNuggets or Official exam guide for ICND1.

AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
I went through the CBT nuggets videos for the CCENT/ICND1 exam and there is nothing covering the security part described in the exam blueprints. I ordered the two exam certification guides by Wendell Odom because apparently they are very good (good reviews and the comments here are excellent) and I cant find anything aboiut security on the ICND1 book.

My cousin has one book by examcram and he says they cover something but only a few pages. I dont get it.

This is what it says on cisco website regarding the CCENT exam (exam 640-822).

Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats

* Explain today's increasing network security threats and the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
* Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
* Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
* Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices

I am ready to take the exam except for this part. I am going to check the examcram book tomorrow. I also found weird the fact that the CBT nuggets went so fast through the WAN technologies part and now checkng the official exam guide I see there is a lot of information and they even mention a lot of Frame relay. I remember Jeremy (CBT Nuggets) saying specifically that Frame Relay is not part of the CCENT. Now I am confused and feel like going through all the things again in the official certification guide.

Comments please...
Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would read the entire exam certification guide before taking the exam. The CBT Nuggets are great recources, but they should in no way be your only source of information. They serve as a great introduction to the topics, and it is good to have some things explained. The CBT Nuggets are not all inclusive though. Read through the security section in the ICND2 book to be sure on that part if you are not comfortable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would read the entire exam certification guide before taking the exam. The CBT Nuggets are great recources, but they should in no way be your only source of information. They serve as a great introduction to the topics, and it is good to have some things explained. The CBT Nuggets are not all inclusive though. Read through the security section in the ICND2 book to be sure on that part if you are not comfortable.

I was about to say that....
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Sorry, I found the coverage of the security issues int he official guide...I just received the books and checked for it really fast and couldnt find it.

I had plans to take the exam this week, but I am now considering going through the whole guide before. I dont want any surprises the day of the exam. I do want to get the cert because I have more than one job waiting, but those can wait a few more days, i suppose...

thanks!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd definitely wait until you read the exam cert guide. It could end up saving you the money of taking twice. Good luck on the exam!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • 127.0.0.1127.0.0.1 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Alex,

If you are taking the CCENT Exam, you will only be tested on ICND 1 material. You will not be expected to know about how to configure frame relay or troubleshoot (this would be something you would be expected to know when you take the ICND 2 test), but you would be expected to know what frame relay is and other basic WAN concepts. I agree with you on Jeremy Ciaora's CBTNuggets. They do not cover all the material or explain all the concepts that a person would need to know as a CCNA. Purchasing a book, like Wendell Odom's CCENT/CCNA ICND 1 would be a very good choice. I used that and passed my CCENT. It covers all the topics and does a good job teaching you all the CCENT concepts. I would advise you to make sure you understand the concepts in Wendell Odom's Certification Guide, and also take the ICND 1 practice test that comes in the CD. If you understand and get a good score on the practice test included in this study guide, you will definitely pass the CCENT exam! Best of luck. :)