Options

Microsoft Virtual PC Setup

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Can anyone tell me how i can configure my virtual machines to go out on the internet!! So far i have the networking on Local Only, i have tried other settings but with no joy.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you bridge the virtual adapter to the physical network or are you using NAT? Make sure you've set the default gateway and your DNS servers in the virtual machine.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    If you just want to access the internet from your virtual machines for patch downloads etc for them you can do the following:

1) Connect the host machine to the internet in your usual way.
    2) Open Virtual PC Console and right click on the Virtual Machine you want and choose Settings.
    3) Choose the Networking option on the left

If you want to be able to connect to both the Virtual Network and the Internet leave Adapter 1 as local.
    4) Choose Number of network adapters to 2.
    5) Click the Arrow on the list box and choose your network adapter (The one you use to connect to the internet)
    6) Click OK and your done! =)

If you only want internet just miss out Step 4 above.

If this doesnt work you may have a firewall or router settings that are blocking it. Try the above and if you have any problems post back and I / Someone here will try and advise whats causing the problems. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    i forgot to add that i have a router that my host pc uses for internet connection. The internet works fine if i choose the automatic ip settings on the virtual machines as my router is giving the machines a DHCP address, but when ever i choose an ip address they loose connection.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Ok, a few questions.

Is the machine you are trying to connect to a single virtual PC or part of a workgroup or domain?

Are you running a Virtual DHCP server in either of these situations?

Just so im sure i follow you are setting 'Optain and IP address automatically' from your virtual machine and it is obtaining an IP from the physical router?

This works?

If you enter your own IP address on your virtual machine this doesnt work?

Do you have the IP setup in the right subnet (& subnet mask etc)?

Does your router have a small DHCP pool setup?

Have you checked what IP the router assigns to the virutal machine automatically and then used the same set manully to see what happens? If this works then my first guess is your not using a valid IP address.

Sorry for all the questions just wanted to ensure I understood the setup. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools