Options

state of the IT Market

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
guys, what is the state of the IT Market. from what i get from reading IT boards, i see alot of pissed off folks.

is the IT Market in good condition for 2008 and upcoming years or is it going to get worse?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends. For experienced higher tier IT work, it seems to be alright in the market in which I live. Contract work for lower tier positions can be had too but not quite as readily available.

I think that a lot of the pissed off people are people that thing they are owed a job because they finished college or people that think they are worth a lot more money than the market is willing to bear. And some markets just have a lot more people than there are jobs.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    the pissed of folks in IT are people with college degree who get upset when they find out that their boss has no degree but is making twice as much as them.

Those people need to understand that even though a college degree is important, In this field 7 out of 10 they will take someone who has more experience.

If a company is looking to upgrade their voice infrastructure they won't go out there looking for people with IT degrees. They go out there looking for people with a lot of experience in Voice.

I am not saying degrees are bad but most of the time when someone is pissed of in IT is because they feel like the IT field is not being fair to them which isn't the case
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of people will look at the salary surveys and say "I should get into IT because it pays so well". They go out, get a certification then waltz into a company and say pay me this because I'm so great. When they don't get what they think they deserve (not what they've earned) they get pissed and think the industry is bunch of lies. Too often people think they’re going to make a lateral move from some other field into IT and they’re going to make more than where they cam from. It may be true but anytime you change careers you should expect to start out at the bottom again, and if you're lucky and you start out in the middle it would be an unexpected surprise, not "what is owed to you" by this industry.

The other typical category of people upset with IT are the people who haven't updated their skills in 10 years and all the sudden the technology they know inside out aand backwards becomes obsolete and they're out of a job. Sometimes these people where being paid huge sums of money for their highly specialized skills and now because they don't know anything else they can't find a job, or as the market shrinks for that skill and there are many skilled people out there with that skill, the salary goes down.

Expect to work for everything you get, don't expect to get anything you haven't earned. If you do then that's an added bonus. Stay current and on top of your game, there's always someone right behind you that's tired of looking at your backside and is hungry. This industry is unforgiving, a 10 year old skill set may get you buy in many other fields, but not in this one. Never be complacent, keep pushing to better yourself. Always look ahead at you next move. Have a plan and execute the plan. If you don't meet your goals hold yourself accountable and make it happen.

And overall if you don’t like this field but are doing it for the money you’ll never be happy.

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” - Confucius
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Those are some mighty deep thoughts you have there D.... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...and there is nothing but truth in them.
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for dtlokee's powerful post.

I just want to add this quote from Colin Powell:

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position goes, your ego goes with it.”

-Colin Powell

I do believe that there are a good number of folks in IT who have too much ego and not enough self esteem. I meet too many folks who are more concerned with why someone else is making more money than they are when they're obviously more qualified that sometimes I wonder if I'm working with actors or rock stars instead of IT folk. I'm of the mind that if you do the things all good IT folks do (earn job applicable certs, build up a good base of on the job experience, and earn a degree) then money and respect will follow.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    man i created this thread in www.dice.com board, and they have a totally different view here.

they are basically telling me to get out of IT since it is just going to get worse and worse.

and it is not about not getting what you deserve in term of pay, just that IT market sucks and there are basically no jobs.

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/thread.jspa?threadID=6028&tstart=0

and this is another interested thread

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/thread.jspa?threadID=666&tstart=0
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The guys on Dice can't find a job so they are just trying to better their odds by getting you to leave the field icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    seems like you know about Dice.com more than i do. i was so scared after reading threads there. i dont know what to believe since i am getting different vibes here and in the Dice.com, a totally negative one.

i am willing to relocate to New York to live with my sister a bit since I am unemployed right now.

how is the IT Market in New York City and New York State?