Options

UPN suffixes

Joe DonnerJoe Donner Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
One question on the 292 Transcender relates to UPN suffixes, but I beg to differ on the correct answer for this.

The situation is sketched as more or less the following:

You have a single AD domain called int.domain.com. You configure a UPN suffix so users can log on with what they perceive to be their email addresses.

The NetBIOS name of the domain: INT

UPN you set up is: @domain.com

On the user account's properties:
User logon name: MuffyK
User logon name (pre-Windows 2000): Muffy

So (according to me) the user should be able to log on using any of the following:

Muffy (with domain selected in dropdown on logon screen)
INT\Muffy (dropdown becomes disabled)
MuffyK@domain.com (dropdown becomes disabled)

According to the Transcender, the user can only log on using:
Muffy
MuffyK@domain.com

What do you reckon?

As a second part to my question, in the above scenario, will the user still be able to log on with MuffyK@int.domain.com (which would have been the default UPN suffix before you added the @domain.com one), after you added the @domain.com UPN suffix, and configured @domain.com as UPN suffix on the user's account?

Will appreciate your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Options
    Right, so no-one knows? (Just kidding! :D )

I tested it, and here are my findings.

The user can log on with:

Muffy (with domain selected in dropdown on logon screen)
    INT\Muffy (dropdown becomes disabled)
    MuffyK@domain.com (dropdown becomes disabled)

And the user can still log on with her default (original) UPN suffix, which was @int.domain.com.

Either I'm missing something, or the Transcenders got this one wrong.

Anyway, wish me luck - doing 292 tomorrow at 14h00 (UK time).

We'll see if I'm a sissy or a beasthunter icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think using the netbios name as in netbiosName\user is a legacy method used for backwards compatibility. I believe you can still log on that way by default. Did the question state anything about netbios being disabled or anything like that? Things like that are easy to overlook.
  • Options
    Nope, not a peep about Netbios being disabled or enabled or anything like that.

I've read the question and explanation 15 times and just don't see any catch. But then it's not like Transcender to make mistakes like this.

The only thing I noticed just now is that one answer is:

INT \Muffy (i.e. there's a space between INT and \Muffy)...maybe that's it?

But I don't see a reason or clue as to why they say that the user can't still log on using the default UPN suffix of @int.domain.com. I tested it and it works even when the new UPN suffix (@domain.com) is created in AD Domains and Trusts, AND the user's account is configured to use the new one. Maybe it's a replication issue and I didn't wait long enough??

Very peculiar.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Email their support. There were a couple of questions that didn't provide explanations on my 293 practice exam, so I emailed their support about it. I received a reply within a day saying that she was going to forward it to someone else, and some other guy got back to me a day or two later. They usually provide good explanations to their why each answer was or wasn't correct. Does it not go into that, or does their explanation just seem incorrect?