Options

Is it because I don't have Microsoft certifications?

tremeretremere Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is a cross post, I had put it in the wrong forum:

I just found this site via google, and am happily reading the posts here!

Something that is really bothering me about this tech industry (I run my own small computer-servicing business from home) is that NO ONE is responding to my resumes. On my resume, say for example I am applying for a PC Technician position, I am putting down that I have my two-year degree in Computer Information Technology and that I run my own computer-servicing business from home.

Why is it that no one is responding to me? Not that a lot of job opportunities (punching the clock for someone else) exist here in the Berkshires (western Massachusetts) actually exist. Still, does no one have enough respect for the fact that I went to college for two years AND that I service clients' computers in their homes?

Yeah, I realize that the "hiring manager" might not believe someone saying on his resume that he runs his own computer servicing business from home. Because, after all, if I am that good, why am I applying somewhere else?

Still, Berkshire Life Insurance was the last employer I applied to for a PC Technician position about two weeks ago. The HR department never bothered responding to my email (my cover letter, resume and list of references.....they suggested in the ad that this stuff be emailed to them), and when I was finally able to get through to HR, the lady lied to me. She said that the hiring manager had my application and that I would be getting a call, when all I got was a "thanks for your application, but we found someone more suitable for the position" letter).

Folks, I hear it all the time that the computer industry is going down the tubes because of work being shipped over-seas. I believe that part. What I am TRYING to believe, but having a difficult time doing anymore, is that the employers in our good ol' USA have enough decency and common courtesy to at least tell someone why he or she didn't get the job. I mean, if you help someone help his or her self, that could help you a lot down the road. That's the way I see it, anyhow.

Is the fact that I am not getting any calls because I don't have Microsoft certifications (granted I also run and am learning to support Linux, LOL), or because I just don't write a "techy enough" resume?

Back last fall I was taking a CCNA course at the local community college, but dropped out after it was clear that the professor was just a step ahead of us (he was getting certified to teach the second part of the CCNA course, and they were trying to cram all four Cisco modules into one course), and just generally feeling I wasn't getting much excitment out of the course. I was older than most of the students, so the hacker-punk mentality didn't rub with me real well :=)

Comments

• Options
    jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i feel the same way about not getting calls back.... they lie to me too..
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with limited experience and no certifications it will be very hard to get your foot in the door anywhere. Keep in mind that HR departments are busy too and IT is probably not the only department they are hiring for, so I wouldn't take it personally if they don't get back to you.

Also, tremere, I'm sure your qualified to do the job of PC Technician, but saying your only experience is running your own computer servicing business is not the same as saying you worked say Helpdesk for 2 years for another company. IMO employers will frown on that and it would probably help you a lot if you started doing volunteer work for schools, churches, etc. whatever to get some experience that you can put down on your resume.

How are they lying to you just because they don't call you back? They might not be calling back because of a number of reasons. Have you ever had your resume evaluated by a job counselor? Perhaps your approach to applying for jobs needs to be modified a bit. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't put too much faith in the thought 'They are lying to me' as the reason your not getting any call backs.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I was an employer I would be looking at 2 major things that would make not want to hire you.

Number 1 - No certs what so ever - not even A+. Even with a degree at least one cert would be required for entry level work.

Number 2 - You are currently running your own business. This could mean 3 things to an employer - your outside work could become more important than you full time job therefore you would not be dedicated, you could be taking work away from the company you would be working for if they are in the same business and thirdly if your business somehow takes off you could leave the job therefore there is no security that the employer could have you long term.

I would keep doing your home business but try and look for experience else where such as TeKniques suggestions
  • Options
    Random21Random21 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□

Yup same here.Happened to me around 5 times..
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    When I had my associate’s degree 2 years ago, I went to my first job interview hoping for something. This was a big interview since it was my only response & since it was in relations with managing users and computers remotely. I was shut down hard due to zero certification, lack of experience, and no 4 year degree. The employer specifically told we accepted another candidate with a 4 year degree. That day i said to myself-going to get my 4 year and a few certs b/c I had no luck. Well I am ready to graduate and will let you know if i have any success very soon. But the IT industry is actually doing pretty good right now. The key is not giving up, obtaining certs, and keeping your self motivated. Try to network as much as possible with people you know. Something should come around sooner or later. Alot of employers require a 4 year, which is really a bummer.