Options

OSI Layers 8 9 & 10

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
My boss sent me this it seems useful

All network admins should know the 7 layers of the OSI model. However, references often miss the remaining layers as they refer to the non-technical aspects of computer networking that often interfere with the smooth design and operation of the network.

Layer 8 is usually considered the “office politics” layer. In most organizations, there is at least one group who is favored, at least temporarily, by management and receives “special” treatment. When it comes to networking, this may mean that this group always has the latest and/or fastest equipment and highest speed network links.

Layer 9 is generally referred to as the “blinders” layer. This layer applies to organizational managers who have already decided, usually with little or no current information, to dictate a previously successful network plan.
They may say things such as:

“It worked in my last company, so we will use it here.”
“Everybody says this is the right solution.”
“I read in an airline magazine that this was the best way to do it so that is what we will do.”

What these managers seem to forget is that they are paying a highly qualified staff to provide them with useful information. These managers bypass planning in order to make a quick decision.

Layer 10, the “user” layer, is in every organization. But users are much more than a layer. While they are one of the reasons the network exists, users can also be a big part of the need for troubleshooting. This is especially true when the users have computers at home and have decided to “help” the network administrator or manager by making changes to the network without consulting the network staff. Equally challenging is the user who “didn’t do anything” when the network segment in his/her immediate vicinity suddenly stopped working. In these cases, the layer 10 identification coincides with layer 10 troubles (and the “ID10T” label some technicians have used).

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These managers bypass planning in order to make a quick decision.

Ya I have encountered this and it is annoying. That and frugal management. Frugal to the point to where the network is suffering, yet these mangers can;t get it through their thick skulls that something needs to be done now before it gets worse. I've said it before, but these are instances where management is not technically savvy. I have always referred to the 8th layer as the business layer. This layer kinda sums up all the management decisions, business process, politics, and end users.

I think every IT training curriculum should include a couple business classes.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    yep, goodness for bid they actually have to say "let me talk to my team or network admins and see what is best".....

that would make to much sense, kinda like buying all this oil and we have other resources to use.....
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    "I read in an airline magazine that this was the best way to do it so that is what we will do"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_arrow.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680