Options

Would it be a good idea to get a CCNA while in University?

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you think its a good idea for one to self study at their own pace (not too slow) and get a CCNA while they are in University? The degree I would like to do is a Bachelor of Information Technology in Networking. They have an internship also I think. So would it be a good idea to get a CCNA before the internship or before the end of Univ atleast?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It won't hurt especially if you can get a good internship. I'd say go for it if you have the time to study. Just remember to keep your expectations in check as to what the CCNA with no experience will get you as far as career wise. You don't want to end up disappointed like some others when they can't find an amazing job with their degree and certification.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well I was thinking that maybe with the CCNA, I would have all the theoretical knowledge I can handle at that stage. So when I go for the internship, I will have a window of opportunity for a good job straight away. I would be able to put in serious theoretical knowledge into practice and kind of get a head start. Maybe the employers would be impressed with me and even offer me a permanent job.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me!

Just don't go in there cocky with your "theoretical knowledge" and think you know everything. The internship should be a great learning experience for you.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    In most cases, a degree just means you're capable of learning. A cert says you're capable of learning and have likely learned what you need to perform a certain role.

I thought after I finished my degree i wouldnt have to do anything else, learning wise...little did i know it was only the beginning. You should always do what you can to elevate yourself above your competition.

However, you might consider starting with N+....as I know it is a more attainable goal while also trying to do other schoolwork. CCNA is something you need to dedicate more time to, and it takes longer.
  • Options
    ^how about going for N+ and then CCENT and then finally CCNA with the Univ itself?
  • Options
    It would ROCK if I could land atleast a CCENT before going to Univ and then getting a CCNP by the time I leave Univ and I will also have the internship experience. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Might as well grab a couple CCIEs while your at it!
  • Options
    LOL thats beyond me eh? so am I aiming for a bit too high with all these certs? I havent really tried any exams so I dont really know whether these are hard or no. I thought CCNA was basic. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do it, just stay motivated and do not attempt it all too quickly. I have had plenty of time to work on my CCNA and then CCNP here at college. I learned that though I had prepared for the CCNP with enough time and lab prep, I quickly became burnt out from completing the CCNP in a relatively short time. Though I had tons of free time which I devoted to the CCNP, you have to think about your own mental health.
  • Options
    LOL thats beyond me eh? so am I aiming for a bit too high with all these certs? I havent really tried any exams so I dont really know whether these are hard or no. I thought CCNA was basic. icon_confused.gif
    They're nothing to take lightly for sure. Even when you know the material, the exams can be quite tricky.

Start with N+. If you pass and get cert fever then you can spend a little bit of $ and set up a lab to get ready for CCENT/NA.

Dont think of them as "basic". Think of them as "foundation". Even though they are the first level, there's nothing simple or basic about it. Your own lingo might lull you into a false sense of confidence...unless you already know this stuff. If thats the case then jsut ignore me.
  • Options
    Whats cert fever? lol

Is a lab necessary? How much would it cost?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Is a lab necessary? How much would it cost?

A lab, or at the very least, a simulator, is essential to your success, especially when going for CCNP after you're done with CCNA. You can read the books, (as a matter of fact, you need to,) but you need plenty of hands-on experience as well. The reason for this is twofold: the first reason is that you'll have a hard time passing the CCNA exam(s), let alone the CCNP exams, without it. The other reason is that a person passing a certification exam without any practical knowledge of how to perform the kind of work that exam prepares you for is almost as bad as someone cheating to pass it. The end result is just about the same, you go into a work environment unable to perform the tasks expected of a CCNA, and the value of the cert drops. Do yourself a favor, for both your credibility as well as raising your chances of passing these exams, start putting together a lab as soon as possible.

If you're looking for tips on lab equipment, there are quite a few threads in the CCNA section of this site that can help you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Do you think its a good idea for one to self study at their own pace (not too slow) and get a CCNA while they are in University? The degree I would like to do is a Bachelor of Information Technology in Networking. They have an internship also I think. So would it be a good idea to get a CCNA before the internship or before the end of Univ atleast?

Hahaha! My answer is NO! I've been trying to get the bloody thing for 4 years now and school always gets in the way. Now, it depends on your program, but typically you're taking 5 courses a semester which will eat up most of your waking hours (lectures, assignments, midterm studying, etc). Throw in a social life and you've basically got no time left. Time management is key. If you can somehow devise a study schedule that works, go for it. But I recommend getting the CCNA after you graduate and spending what little free time you have attending keggers.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The more knowledge and credentials that you acquire while in school will help you get a better entry level job, and help you move up faster. So if you feel like you can keep your grades while studying for CCNA, then hell yes, get it. Your going to need all you can get to compete when you graduate. A degree doesn;t always cut it anymore. you see all these people in this forum complaining about the industry and how it's hard to get started. maximize your chances by being one step ahead.

I got my CCNA while working full time and going to school 12 hours a week. It was hard and I didn;t spend much time with my family for 3.5 months. But I'm glad I did. almost anyone can get a degree, but not everyone can get a degree and difficult certs at the same time. Be one who is above the rest.

Attending keggers, while the next guy is staying home and getting certs, is when you get beat out by the next guy in an interview.

So limit yourself to 1 kegger a month. :P
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    Whats cert fever? lol
    You start working on one, pass it, and it just dominoes and the next thing you know you're Bill Gates.

There are some factors there i'm assuming, such as you have the time to devote...but myself and a number of people go through phases. For example, I did A+, N+, MCDST in a 3 month span. I'm rolling through the MCSA material now, so I plan to have 3 more tests done in the next 3-4 months. When that's complete, that will cure my cert fever for a while, then something else will give me a new fever i presume. I predict it will be a part of the CC strain.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Netstudent wrote:
    Attending keggers, while the next guy is staying home and getting certs, is when you get beat out by the next guy in an interview.

...and before you know it you're pushing 40 with two kids and a mortgage wondering why you wasted your youth with your nose in a book. :)
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not going to hurt you, but you need to re-cert every 3 yrs which become a harzard to many IT guys that now working in cisco network all the time.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn