Options

Tech geek in Networking

DingdongbubbleDingdongbubble Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
You might know a few people who are known to be 'tech geeks'. They practically know everything there is to know about consumer electronics. They go around the web all the time learning tid bits here and there. When a new processor comes out, they literally learn the number of transistors and stuff by heart and are able to analyse the technical stuff and decide whether the competition is better or not.

Well my question is how can on do the same thing but not in consumer electronics rather in Networkings hardware. Do websites like www.networkworld.com help?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just read, read and then read some more. I visit networkworld and a few other sites for reading daily. The web is a great place to read articles about new technologies.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Would you please list out some nice websites with the latest tech and their analysis and stuff? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    websites are always good. like this one, and cisco.com. and just searching google.

if you really wanna dig into it buy some books, they are the best imo

i hate the whole tech 'geek' thing. it seems like these people that work for geek squad and are tech 'geeks' don't even really know that much. They just know alot about the 'latest
    stuff. and the stuff they do know about. like microprocessors; doesn't really mean anything in the real world
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    it seems like these people that work for geek squad and are tech 'geeks' don't even really know that much. They just know alot about the 'latest
    stuff. and the stuff they do know about. like microprocessors; doesn't really mean anything in the real world

+1 on that
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Aquabat wrote:
    i hate the whole tech 'geek' thing. it seems like these people that work for geek squad and are tech 'geeks' don't even really know that much. They just know alot about the 'latest

It does have some use in some places, say for when you're in the market for a new pc or need to upgrade for that latest game like Crysis. But in terms of careers it is useless, unless your company needs new computers.

"Tech Geeks" is just a hobby and its useless just like most other hobbies can be called useless.

As for me, I used to be a tech geek but I really only went full gear when I needed a new computer.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    Talic wrote:
    Aquabat wrote:

It does have some use in some places, say for when you're in the market for a new pc or need to upgrade for that latest game like Crysis. But in terms of careers it is useless, unless your company needs new computers.

"Tech Geeks" is just a hobby and its useless just like most other hobbies can be called useless.

As for me, I used to be a tech geek but I really only went full gear when I needed a new computer.

yea i can understand it having a use to build a pc. But i can't stand these commericals for these companies like best buy.

Like the stupid older guy wanting to buy a laptop and saying something like " uhhh, i want to look at pictures and videos"

and the pretty young "tech geek" best-buy girl saying " o, well, uhhhh, get the gateway because it has alot of memory"

i can't believe people buy into this crap. like, as if it matter what kind of laptop you get because you want to looka t pictures, or video. any laptop will do anything you want
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    I agree that those best buy things are really stupid. I dont think salesmen have much knowledge at all. They just lie and get their product SOLD IMO.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOl or PC World check out this excellent bargin 2gbs or ram and your be able to burn DVDS! no you cant because the f**king processor is a bottleneck and by the time you burn a dvd your be able to pick up the film for a $ lol

I like the way companies fool the user by numbers! i.e A WHOOPING 2 Ghz Machine! complete with cardboard motherboard and the Power Supply that is prone to explosion when in use.

lol a Whopping 128mb of graphics so you can play the latest titles!

Shame it's integrated and struggles to display the gui yet alone Quake 2 lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Aquabat wrote:
    websites are always good. like this one, and cisco.com. and just searching google.

if you really wanna dig into it buy some books, they are the best imo

I agree with you mostly but I still that that you can't generalize like that. It's really not fair. One of my best friends works as a Geek Squad Double Agent. He knows his stuff, He is currently working towards an MCSA then an MCSE so that he can move up in the tech world. Right now it's a job for him to bring home income and to continue building work experience in the tech field. Granted, he does not get to do the fun System/Network Admin type of things... But thats what a home lab is for :)

Overall, most people in that position are just "tech geeks" that only know what the latest hardware coming out for home users happens to be.

Just had to defend my buddy there :)
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    I like the way companies fool the user by numbers! i.e A WHOOPING 2 Ghz Machine! complete with cardboard motherboard and the Power Supply that is prone to explosion when in use.

Take a look at the master of the Game: How to lie with statistics - Written in 1954 and still been sold and taught more than 50 years later

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

I agree with you mostly but I still that that you can't generalize like that. It's really not fair. One of my best friends works as a Geek Squad Double Agent. He knows his stuff, He is currently working towards an MCSA then an MCSE so that he can move up in the tech world. Right now it's a job for him to bring home income and to continue building work experience in the tech field. Granted, he does not get to do the fun System/Network Admin type of things... But thats what a home lab is for :)

Overall, most people in that position are just "tech geeks" that only know what the latest hardware coming out for home users happens to be.

Just had to defend my buddy there :)

Having worked in a Best Buy environment, All I can say is when I was assisting the tech bench (now called geek squad), all they would do is say something is broken, and UP-SELL the hell out of it. Bottom line is all managers care about is sales. And they propagate this all the way down to the peons. Hey, im totally fine with that; thats how they make profit, and the customer should come in the store BASIC knowledge of what he is buying. But they mask the issue with up-selling the latest and greatest and expensive technology to the customer, when all they really need is the cost effective solution that suits their needs better. So of course they are going to recommend the latest and greatest even if it doesn't really fit your needs. All they care about is the numbers. Unfortunately, I didn't work that way; and left.

To strengthen Megadeth's point, not ALL geek squad/Sales Techies work that way. But they are few and far between...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In reference to snadam's post... I have a brother who in the past tried to get a job at circuit city when he was younger. He used to run BBS's and had a pretty solid knowledge of systems.

Circuit City rejected him basically because he was too smart to sell computers (although he really had no job experience). They like to target the techies who are interested in computers but can be molded to try and sell the more expensive product. Not someone who wants to sell you the right thing.

I'm guessing geek squad has this same kind of policy?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    I'm guessing geek squad has this same kind of policy?

I'm sure its everybody's business model in the tech retail industry.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security