Options

XP client keeps losing internet

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Yesterday, all of a sudden the client lost the internet. I was just browsing the web and suddenly it wouldnt work any more. Nothing in the error logs on the server but on the client I saw the following errors:

SOURCE :NETLOGON

No Domain Controller is available for domain CONTOSO due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. .
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

SOURCE : DNSAPI

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {AA4780C7-24AD-4B47-AE3A-3153B02A518C}
Host Name : new-02
Primary Domain Suffix : contoso.com
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because either (a) the DNS server does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol, or (b) the authoritative zone for the specified DNS domain name does not accept dynamic updates.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Funny that it is the network systems administrator mucking around with the computers and doesnt know how to fix stuff !!

Anyways, on an intuition, on the client, I changed LAN settings to obtain DNS server addresses automatically, and the internet was back ON. On a hunch, as ROYAL, DYNAMIK and KENNY pointed in another thread that the DNS server address must be the server's IP address, I put 192.168.0.101 back in the LAN settings. Surprisingly, the internet was still working.

To my wits end, the internet dropped out again after 15 minutes. Wonder what this was or the
computer was just playing tricks on a server greenhorn .....

P.S. All ADSL requirements are being met i.e. length of cable, cable quality etc etc. The 'net began dropping out just yesterday.....
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Registering a client's name in DNS is important when you need to access that client with a DNS name on your network. That doesn't have anything to do with your client's ability to resolve names on the internet.

When you lose connectivity, can you still use local resources (i.e. access shares, ping other computers)?

Can you ping/access machines on the internet by IP address (i.e. 72.14.207.99 for google.com)?

Can you access the internet from your server and/or other machines on your network?

You may need to just power cycle your modem. Mine cable modem does stuff like that once in awhile. Just let it sit off for 30 seconds and plug it back in.

Regarding the error on your server, do you have the server's DNS set to itself? You will run into various problems if you don't. Be sure to set it to register it's name in DNS as well.
  • Options
    I can ping the client from the server, and I can still access the web on the server. The client, however, cannot ping nothing. But I can still access shares on the client from the server ??

also dynamik, the internet on the server is lightning fast, but the client isnt as fast as used to be before it joined the domain ??
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MobilTech wrote:
    I can ping the client from the server, and I can still access the web on the server. The client, however, cannot ping nothing. But I can still access shares on the client from the server ??

also dynamik, the internet on the server is lightning fast, but the client isnt as fast as used to be before it joined the domain ??

just a hunch, but bad gateway address on the client? icon_confused.gif:

can you provide your ip info for your server and client machines?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    ipconfig on the server :
    IP address : 192.168.0.101
    mask: 255.255.255.0
    def gateway : 192.168.0.1

ipconfig on the client :
    IP address : 192.168.0.100
    mask : 255.255.255.0
    def gateway : 192.168.0.1

The DNS server setting on both computers is the server's IP address i.e. 192.168.0.101
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does it just start working again later on?

When it goes down again, try opening a command prompt and doing an ipconfig /flushdns or just right-click on your network connection and choose "repair." maybe you're DNS cache is getting corrupted for some reason.
  • Options
    No, I have to set the client to obtain DNS server address automatically. I leave it like that for let's say about 10-15 minutes. Then I put in the server's IP address back in as the DNS server address in the client, and the 'net's still working. It repeats the same process again, loses the internet again after a while.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..