Options

Virtual PC 2007 and Server 2003

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just before I installed Virtual PC, I thought I'd ask some very knowledgeable people a question about RAM requirements. I did have a look at MS's site, didnt make things very clear icon_confused.gif

Does it mean that I will need a gig of ram for every OS I put on? Also preparing for an MCSE/MCSA, I 'd say 2 servers and 2 clients would suffice ?? So would 3 OS on a Acer 5600G 1.6 GHz ( 1 GB RAM at the moment and 1 OS ) overwhelm it into crashing? I am sure it would desperately need more ram than 1 gigs
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not that familiar with Virtual PC, but I assume it lets you assign an allocated amount of ram to each machine, just like VMWare does. Just figure out how much ram you want to allocate to each machine. If you put 128mb on each machine, that still leaves you 512mb for your OS and anything else you have going. You could bump the servers up to 192mb and still have 384mb left over. You're going to be making things tight, but you can probably get by.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like dynamik said, adjust the RAM for the host machines using the feature of Virtual PC:

snap1wo0.th.gif

Minimum for Server 2003 Enterprise is 128 MB -- expect to run a workable, but sluggish system. It would definitely be beneficial to upgrade to more memory if possible.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That was helpful, beaver. I ll ramp up the RAM to 2 GB and have the 2 servers running somewhere between 512 MB and 1 GB and an XP client using the remaining. Sounds like a plan to me...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com