Options

MCSE 2000 to MCSA 2003

Joe DonnerJoe Donner Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Allow me to ask a possibly stupid question, but I can't quite work this out from Microsoft's web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/faq.mspx

Q. If I am an MCSE on Windows 2000 and upgrade to MCSE on Windows Server 2003, will I automatically become certified as an MCSA on Windows Server 2003?
A. Yes. Exam 70-292: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on Windows 2000 is part of the upgrade path for an MCSE on Windows 2000. It includes objectives that validate the skills set of an MCSA on Windows Server 2003.

My question is this:

Does a Windows 2000 MCSE become a Windows 2003 MCSA after passing just 292? Or do you have to do 296 too before you get both MCSE 2003 and MCSA 2003?

Does Microsoft say this anywhere on their web site that anyone is aware of? The FAQs aren't very clear on this issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the MCSE 2000, you will become a MCSA 2003 after passing the 292 exam. That is what I did last year.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    The MCSA 2003 makes a nice addtion to the transcript :D

Check your transcript, mine was up to date 12 hours after completion (MS are very fast).
  • Options
    Ok, cool!

I wonder why Microsoft doesn't make this clearer?

My transcript hasn't been updated yet. Hopefully soon...

Thanks.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When did you take the test?

I took mine on a saturday. Within a couple of days the exam showed up on my transcript and then the next day the new certification was there.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I took mine yesterday.

I know they can take a while to show up on the transcript. No matter.

I just always assumed that 292 gives you MCSA 2003 (if you're MCSE 2000), but after double-checking on Microsoft's web site I started thinking otherwise...they seem to say you have to do both 292 and 296 to upgrade to MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003. As if it's an all or nothing sort of thing.

I probably just read it wrong.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yep - you were right.

My transcript has been updated and it shows I'm now an MCSA on Windows 2003.

296 - here I come!

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Joe Donner wrote:
    Yep - you were right.

My transcript has been updated and it shows I'm now an MCSA on Windows 2003.

296 - here I come!

icon_cool.gif

Don't forget to get that nice new logo to add to you CV icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Of course!

Will answer your 296 question here:

I kinda studied for 292 and 296 together as if they're one exam (because they overlap to some extent), so I think I'm pretty much ready for the exam.

But, I haven't gone through the 296 Transcenders yet. I'll do that first, then update my notes, then study for another couple of days, and then do the exam. Probably around the 17th, so as not rush into it. I also need to do some hands-on in my test lab with Certificate Services - not my strong point as I haven't really used it that much in the real world.

I used that big blue MS Press book. The one co-authored by Orin Thomas. It's pretty good, I think.

And then I decided to take a couple of days off after 292, because I've been studying solid since the beginning of January. Will get going again this weekend.

How's your 296 coming along?
  • Options
    Joe Donner wrote:
    How's your 296 coming along?

Not too bad, I have been enjoying more CBTNuggets. However, have not really got to the nitty gritty of IPSec and Clustering yet. IPSec and Certs are going to be my downfall icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I agree. IPsec and CS aren't exactly my strong points, either. That's why I'm not going to rush into 296 without doing a fair bit of hands-on using the old test lab at home.

I didn't do much hands-on for 292, which isn't the best of ideas under any circumstances. But then a lot of the 292 objectives I'm familiar with through implementing them at work. IPsec and CS - that's a different kettle of fish, though.

:)
  • Options
    I used

* CBTNuggets - Very Very Good!
    * Sybex MCSE Upgrade book (although there are a number of incorrect review questions) - Ish
    * MCMCSE.com - Very Good
    * Netfresco.com - Excellent
    * Free samples from Transcender - Have never really got on with these
    * Free samples from Preplogic - Very Good
    * Free samples from redmondexams - Excellent
    * People experiences from here - Always useful
    * 5 years actually working with 2003 :0)

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    a23m2000a23m2000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What did you pass 70-292 with? Have you taken 70-296 yet?

Thanks btw, this is very helpful, and hopefull for others as well.

A
    stupidboy wrote:
    I used

* CBTNuggets - Very Very Good!
    * Sybex MCSE Upgrade book (although there are a number of incorrect review questions) - Ish
    * MCMCSE.com - Very Good
    * x-spammers-x.com - Excellent
    * Free samples from Transcender - Have never really got on with these
    * Free samples from Preplogic - Very Good
    * Free samples from redmondexams - Excellent
    * People experiences from here - Always useful
    * 5 years actually working with 2003 :0)

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    I used the MS Press book 'Upgrading your certification to Microsoft Windows Server 2003' (search amazon.co.uk for ISBN 0735619719). It's a big book - 1100 pages...

Then I also used the Transcenders (I've never tried anything else). People say the Transcenders for 292 aren't very good for this exam, but I disagree (except they really didn't bother spellchecking some of their questions). I think they were pretty much as helpful as ever (well, maybe a very tiny bit less helpful than usual, but not much), provided that you've prepared well. The Transcenders don't give away any questions or answers, but they do help your mind get into exam mode.

I printed out the Cramsession for 292, studied through the book, made notes on the Cramsession, did the Transcenders, made more notes. Studied from the notes. Little bit of hands-on. More study from the notes. Job done.

I can honestly say the exam didn't feel like the beast everyone says it should be. It's tricky, yes, but not the toughest exam I've ever done (thinking 216 and feeling a bit faint...).

Just note the Cramsession appears to have been written well before Windows 2003 was even released, so it's not as useful as it could be. I just did the above out of habit, because studying that way has always worked for me.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • Options
    a23m2000 wrote:
    What did you pass 70-292 with? Have you taken 70-296 yet?

Thanks btw, this is very helpful, and hopefull for others as well.

A

I passed 70-296 with 925/1000. I must admit that the majority of my questions were on DNS and this is something that I know well (even if CBTNuggets did teach me a few new tricks).

I think I will take my first shot at 70-296 on Thursday (06.02.200icon_cool.gif, that is work depending. Second shot has really boosted my confidence icon_wink.gif