Options

HOW TO - Forward faxes to another users fax extension?

LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am trying to forward a users fax extension to a new fax extension that he is using at another office but I have been told by everyone that this is not possible. Both extensions are in Unity so its not like the new fax extension is an outside line.

I refuse to believe that you cannot forward fax extensions... it seems so simple and clearly very important. Let me know if I am crazy...

I am trying to do this on Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1).

TIA!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, you're crazy -- you should be happy that you get Faxes at all. icon_lol.gif
    Faxing over IP networks

One of the selling points of "Unified Messageing" was that the stuff can go in your mail box -- and then you have all the messaging options of accessing it later from anywhere.

Without a clue as to your network/voice/fax architecture/topology/configuration and if these are inbound/outbound/internal faxes involving "FoIP" or "hard fax machines", I'd guess the simplest solution is probably to give the user the new fax extension while they are at the new office -- and then change it back if they return to their old office. That takes a lot less time and effort than any of the "tricks" I could think of to do what you want.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha! Yeah seriously... now that I reread my post I can say I was pretty vague with specifics and its because I am a total VOIP noob. I dont know how much this would help but we are trying to do this for incoming faxes and we are using this TCL script that I think is the cisco store/forward standard for faxing. The TCL script names are :

application
    service offramp flash:app_faxmail_offramp.2.0.1.1.tcl
    !
    service onramp flash:app_faxmail_onramp.2.0.1.3.tcl
    !

My understanding is that the 2851 converts the fax to a tif and sends it to the unity server at which point it is sent to the 2003 exchange server for delivery to the user. I just dont know at which point I should reroute the fax to a different number... I hope that clears it up a little.

The main reason we are trying to do this is that users who have been at one office for years are moving and all of the contacts they have are faxing to the old number so they are missing faxes. I guess another solution would be to find the old undelivered faxes and forward them manually but who has time for that? :p I figured I would forward the fax number to the new one for like a month.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOkrasa wrote:
    I guess another solution would be to find the old undelivered faxes and forward them manually.
    I actually had put that in (but then took it out) as the 2nd best option. icon_lol.gif

The 3rd best option is to have the user return to the old office once per day or week (depending on the distance) to pick up faxes. icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!