Options

DNA Database

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Here in UK we have the largest database of DNA samples in the world, some 4.5 Million

Q.1 Are you in favour of a mandatory DNA database of everyone?

Q.2 What would the system that holds all this information consist of? Would just 1 server with 1000 hard drives be surfice

Your thoughts please

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We all know that DNA is the genectic make up of every human, and every humans DNA is different (even if slightly). We are talking about the very makeup of you and me. Is it ethically correct to allow your very genectic makeup to be stored in a database? I am strongly agaisnt this simply because I don't want my lifes code stored in some database for someone to deposit if they ever wanted.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    This is obviously a difficult situation to please everyone:

My thoughts?

I guess mine boils down to - If you have done nothing wrong them why do you worry if the store your DNA? It would help convict many murders, rapests etc alot quicker and could save potential victims lives.

HOWEVER: it would need to be stored in a very secure way and by past experience the UK Government doesnt do this very well at present (Child Tax Details anyone?)

So, in essence I can see it being a good thing but would require lots of time and effort for it to be setup correctly and secured correctly before I could support it 100%.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't know about the UK, but in the US if you have served in the military your DNA already is in a database. So, mine is already in a database and it doesn't bother me. I don't plan on committing any crimes any time soon.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.