Options

user migration from NT Domain to Active directoryprofile prb

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
We're currently moving the first of one of our offices over from a NT domain to a W2k3 active directory domain. Everything seems to be going smooth, except when we migrate the computers over and have the users log in, their profiles aren't transferred over.

Can someone help me as to what I'm missing?

Comments

• Options
    and by the profiles not transferring over, I mean, they can log in but its just a plain desktop, not any of their old stuff, email, etc.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you backup the profiles?
  • Options
    we can still access them, they're still on the machines, we just need to pull over the data and import the mail, etc. I just thought there would be an easier way.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're talking about the local user profile on the workstation; i.e. desktop settings, mail pst files, my documents, etc.?

If you're using local profiles and you log on to Windows as a user account that has never logged in before, it is going to create a new profile. It may be looking at your migrated user as a different user if it has a different SID. It will have a different SID unless you are using a migration tool that migrates SID history. Even then, the SID isn't the same, but it has a record of what the SID used to be in the old domain. I'm not sure if even that is enough for your workstation to recognize the user as the same old user.

There is a way to point them back to the old local profile location by editing the registry. I don't remember where it is, but if you search the registry for the full path to their old profile folder the you would probably find it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...