Options

Computer Lab Assistant - Good Starting IT job?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I just applied for a assistant at my local community college and I'm wondering if it'll look good on my resume? I'm probably going to aim for either a Unix/Linux network admin job or a Cisco admin (I'm not a 100% sure what I want to do yet, I'll make up my mind once I do some entry level classes/certs)

What I've seen them (lab assistants) mostly do is go around and help people with whatever they can't do on their computer. So I guess it'll give me some good hands-on exp. Other times they just admit people in when no one needs help.

I see a lot of people post on these boards about starting up with help desk support / tech and it seems like that would look better then a lab assistant. A problem I found with IT jobs is most want full time and exp. yet I have neither yet except for my A+ and future N+.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any job working with technology is better than nothing. I'd take it and keep looking for better opportunities at the same time. Just make the best of the position and learn all you can.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely. Any foot in the door you can take, I'd get it. As networker suggested, I'd get that job, and simultaneously look for other jobs. Worse case scenario, do that a while, then apply elsewhere for something with a bit more potential.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ANY IT job is a good starting IT job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Experience is good, regardless of what it is. Make an impression and network and you can move up.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say take the job. As stated above, something is better than nothing. You will probably learn more than you think you will, and if you truly are good at it, it will open a lot of doors for you at higher levels.

Also don't let job titles fool or discourage you. A problem in this industry is that a lot of jobs are titled in a way that is inaccurate. I've seen "Network Engineer"s who do help desk only and I've seen technicians that are way better "Admins" than the network admin. It's all relative my friend.

You have to start somewhere, and I think you at least have the sense to realize this. You'd be surprised how many people come out of college thinking they are the end-all be-all tech guru because they got good grades. Truth be told, if you haven't worked on a live network, you don't know your ass from your elbow. Experience is worth more than many people like to believe. Good Luck.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Academia is cool. Take advantage of any breaks on tuition and advance the education. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/