Options

Setting up a test ntw

MeekerMeeker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

Some advice need please. I have a cable modem which connects via a 4 port switch to my 2003 Svr. I have been assigned an IP address by the ISP. I have set up DNS and DHCP on the svr. I now have a laptop which I want to act as a test client and its just been built with XP Pro.

I have tried to join the domain I setup, no luck. I have tried to set manual IP addresses and tried to do an IPCONFIG/RENEW, no luck. I cannot even ping the IP address of the cable modem or the server.

The server has an IP address range beginning with 82. The DHCP scope it operates begins with a 10. I know they are different, but I did not want to cause problems with the ISP. The server still has internet access.

Any ideas how I can get the client laptop to join the network?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Meeker wrote:
    Hi folks,

Some advice need please. I have a cable modem which connects via a 4 port switch to my 2003 Svr. I have been assigned an IP address by the ISP. I have set up DNS and DHCP on the svr. I now have a laptop which I want to act as a test client and its just been built with XP Pro.

Where is this IP address assigned? Directly to your server machine, or do you have a router?
    Meeker wrote:
    I have tried to join the domain I setup, no luck. I have tried to set manual IP addresses and tried to do an IPCONFIG/RENEW, no luck. I cannot even ping the IP address of the cable modem or the server.

ipconfig /renew won't do anything if you've manually configured the address. That's only if you're set to automatically obtain an IP address (use DHCP).

Also, you need to setup your client to use the server as it's DNS in order to have it join the domain. See this thread for more information: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=201110
    Meeker wrote:
    The server has an IP address range beginning with 82. The DHCP scope it operates begins with a 10. I know they are different, but I did not want to cause problems with the ISP. The server still has internet access.

So you're saying that the server has an 82.x.x.x address, which it gets from the ISP, and your workstation has an IP of 10.x.x.x? There is no way that's going to work. You can either get a router and assign the IP address that your ISP has given you to that and use 10.x.x.x on both machines, or you can directly connect your internet connection to the Server, add another nic which is assigned a 10.x.x.x address, and use that nic and your workstation on the switch. The router is the far more secure option, and I would suggest that you go that route.
  • Options
    MeekerMeeker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your advice worked a treat. Many many thanks.

I reset the cable router logged into it via a laptop. The laptop took DHCP settings from the Cable router at this point. I confirmed I had full internet access. Then I disabled DHCP on the cable router, set an internal static IP address for the router and for the mac address of the server.

On the server I set a static IP address to the address previously set in the router and configured the new gateway address. It then connected correctly and had full access.

Lastly, I setup DHCP on the server with exclusions for the cable router and itself. I activated the scope and then forced the laptop client to renew its IP address. Hey presto, it all worked.

At the moment, DNS is still being handled by the cable router, but soon I will setup the server manage that.

Thanks again...