The "ephone-dn" commands

An elementary question, I know, but I haven't found a suitable answer off Google, and my teacher is like a slippery eel to get her to answer questions.

The command "Ephone-dn 1" does what exactly? What's the difference between, say, this command:

dial-peer voice 1 voip
destination-pattern 555....
session target ipv4:10.0.0.1
port 0/0/1

- and a dial-peer setup which doesn't have any ephone command? Maybe this will clear it up in my mind. Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ephone-dn command simplifies things...saves you the hassle of manually configuring a POTS dial peer to bind phone numbers to virtual voice ports. Basically, the ephone-dn command automatically manages the dial peer and virtual voice ports..and saves you the manual config. It will generate a dial peer, and (virtual) voice port for you (with station-id).

As a reference, check out the book Cisco IP Communications Express: CallManager Express with Cisco Unity Express.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Mrock4 wrote:
    The ephone-dn command simplifies things...saves you the hassle of manually configuring a POTS dial peer to bind phone numbers to virtual voice ports. Basically, the ephone-dn command automatically manages the dial peer and virtual voice ports..and saves you the manual config. It will generate a dial peer, and (virtual) voice port for you (with station-id).

As a reference, check out the book Cisco IP Communications Express: CallManager Express with Cisco Unity Express.

Ok - I thought the ephone-dn command only translated an extension to the full number or vice versa. Shows what I know.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949