Options

Unreal 3

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone been playing this for the PC yet? I would love to but I have to get a new graphics card first.

A friend of mine has it and is telling me that he cant save the game when he plays in story mode. He played it for 4 or 5 hours one night and had to start over. Are there any tricks to saving your progress or is it all or nothing?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been playing Unreal since the very first release and absolutely loved UT2k4/Onslaught mode. UT3 is a poor distant cousin. They recently patched it to 1.2 which has helped a lot but really it's just getting out of Beta, it was in a ridiculously bad state when first released. Also some very dubious gameplay changes were made (restricted movement, overpowered 'spam' weapons etc. when 2K4 was a paragon of fast movement/accuracy dominated play). In essence they backtracked on a number of features and stated design goals and produced a dumbed down lower-skill game that fell ridiculously short of it's predecessors let alone what they had claimed it would be. The vast majority of hardcore players have moved to something else. The community right now is tiny so the single worst aspect is hunting to try and find a server with actual humans on it. I operate a server and still play because when you do get humans on it's a decent blastfest but not to the levels of it's predecessors, and our clan are in it for the fun of playing together more than the game.
    Epic basically jumped ship to the console version midway through and screwed the PC players. nothing against the Console folks but they should have had equally resourced but different development stages for the 2 versions.

But...it is pretty.....;)

Ps. the Not-saving thing is a bug with version 1 if you played offline, patch to 1.1/1.2 and/or make sure it logs you into gamespy (even for offline play) and it should work.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Been playing some call of duty 4 and Bioshock in spare time, would like to get UT as I used to play that as a student!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dubbs112 wrote:
    Has anyone been playing this for the PC yet? I would love to but I have to get a new graphics card first.

A friend of mine has it and is telling me that he cant save the game when he plays in story mode. He played it for 4 or 5 hours one night and had to start over. Are there any tricks to saving your progress or is it all or nothing?

thanks

I thought it was fun, but compared to other versions of UT, this doenst come close to the game play of its predecessors.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I played the original Unreal and Unreal tournament, does that count? icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I found UT3 to be a bit difficult to play. At least compared to TF2 and QuakeWars.

It seems like its really easy to get killed out of nowhere, without knowing where it came from. The vehicles are hard to maneuver. I found the new warfare mode more confusing then it should be. Sometimes I wonder wtf is going on when I'm in one of those games.

Of course, all of that could be gotten used to with a lot of playing but I still think QW and TF2 do a better job at online play.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I haven't tried UT3 or QW yet. I really miss playing UT2K3. I went back and tried Quake 3 Arena a few weeks ago and got my a$$ kicked. Except for playing TF2 I've been spending waaaaay too much time playing MMORPGs. (Eve Online anyone? It's now on Steam!)
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I have UT3. Got boring really quick. That and there is NO ONE playing online. You'd be lucky to find a server in your area (< 200 ping) with a single human player.
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Pash wrote:
    Been playing some call of duty 4 and Bioshock in spare time, would like to get UT as I used to play that as a student!

CALL OF DUTY 4 IS THE ****!!! I'm addicted.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Ah, you must be a CS guy. I got COD4 for Xmas, made it to Lance Corporal, and then gave the game to my son. It's just not my cup of tea like TFC and TF2 are.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm still trying to get my computer upgraded. I can't wait for the new 9000s series since they are waiting until May or so and they will be expensive... So I'll have to buy one of the 8000 series geforces.

Quake 3 arena is fun, we should play sometime.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Ah, you must be a CS guy. I got COD4 for Xmas, made it to Lance Corporal, and then gave the game to my son. It's just not my cup of tea like TFC and TF2 are.

CS on the original HL engine or on the HL2 source engine is nothing like call of duty 4. The original call of duty was extremely popular and cod4 is pretty good fun, at least the ranking system/upgrading makes public servers more worth while. Only played TFC once back when I was playing cs 1.3, didnt really get it so put it down icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    im still a halo junkie... icon_redface.gif
    no matter what I say or do about that stupid game, I always come back for more...

im looking for a good baseball game to play (as far as im concerned, its been WAY too long since a good baseball game has been released)

hopefully 'the show' will live up to its hype.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest I wasn't that impressed with this game my freind showed me yesterday on he's new wolfdale rig with geforce 9 graphics.

He was like look at the graphics man!

I was like meh but havent we seen this game before it's a bit to samey for my liking!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Had to patch it to 1.2 and now it works fine. Thanks!!

As for a baseball game I was hooked on The Bigs on my PS2 for awhile its kind of addictive.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have UT2K4, if it's anything like that then I'm sure it's pretty cool.

I'm still a Half-Life junkie. I run a HL server from home, usually just on the weekends though.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    To be honest I wasn't that impressed with this game my freind showed me yesterday on he's new wolfdale rig with geforce 9 graphics.

He was like look at the graphics man!

I was like meh but havent we seen this game before it's a bit to samey for my liking!

The only 9000 series card out is one that is a very low end card.

I would assume you would be impressed if you were to see Crysis played on a SLIed 8800 GTX wolfdale system but I definitely could be wrong.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dubbs112 wrote:

As for a baseball game I was hooked on The Bigs on my PS2 for awhile its kind of addictive.

got the bigs for 360. LOVE it! easy to pick up and play. The only thing crappy about sports games, they get outdated at the end of every season...time for an updated game.

just saw a review for MLB 2k8...looks average at best.

• Options
    But as JD said mmo's are amazingly addictive. I used to play planetside religiously before it became way too reptitive. I played some DAOC and then of course WoW (I know the shame).

Age of Conan is the next mmo im looking out for, looks like a real winner if it keeps away the annoying cartoon loving kiddies who play wow.

Anyone played crysis yet? I wanna know if that is a good game.
  • Options
    Pash wrote:
    All of my friends who play it love the graphics and the gameplay. They swear DirectX 10 on Vista makes a difference. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Crysis: DirectX 10 vs. DirectX 9 - Features at GameSpot
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    JDMurray wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    All of my friends who play it love the graphics and the gameplay. They swear DirectX 10 on Vista makes a difference. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Crysis: DirectX 10 vs. DirectX 9 - Features at GameSpot

The problem with DX10 is that you still need a top of the line card to even use it. If you cheap out and buy a midrange or low end DX10 card you wont gain any benefit from it. If you turned on the effects with the lower end card it'll run too slow.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Crysis is superb. I rarely replay games but I did with it about a week after finishing it the first time. Play it on Delta mode, it doesn't do the usual super-AI-**** boosts used for just about any other game it just bumps up the realism - your suit energy/powers take longer to recharge, the crosshairs are gone so precision fire needs scopes or iron-sights and the enemies speak Korean instead of English, it's much more satisfying.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?