Options

Best shortest path to MCSA/E security?

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Thinking about knocking this one out...

I have the sec+ already and I am pretty sure that can be used as an elective.

So,

I don't really care if I get the MCSA or E, but I would like to have one or the other on my resume.

So what is the best quickest path. Provided I am doing my homework and putting in the required time.

MIND YOU I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN EASY WAY OUT. I will take the amount of time needed to get this done.

But I would think with dilligence I could have the lesser of the two on my resume by late this year or early next year.

I know the newer Microsoft tests are a lot harder than the old ones, but I did 6 MCPs (NT) in less than a year. Granted that was 7 years ago. But now I have MUCH more knowledge and experience under my belt.
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you looked at the MCSA:S requirements? It's pretty straight-forward: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/security/windowsserver2003.mspx

You need two core exams, a client, and two security electives, which you Security+ will count towards.

290, 291, 210/270/620, and a security elective (299 is probably the most common).

You would need to add 293, 294, and 298 to get the MCSE:S.
  • Options
    I guess I am not sure which elective to take....

I will have to do some research.

thanks
  • Options
    It's either Windows Server 2003 or ISA 2000, 2004, or 2006. Unless you have a need to go for the older software, your two options are basically Windows Server (299) or ISA 2006 (351).
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I'd do the ISA 2006 Exam, since I think that would benefit your career to say you're an MCSA/E: Security + you know ISA 2006 than just having the security specialization.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I'd do the ISA 2006 Exam, since I think that would benefit your career to say you're an MCSA/E: Security + you know ISA 2006 than just having the security specialization.

Your talking about this exam:
    Exam 70-350

?????
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
  • Options
    Do these tests have to be taken in order?

I ask because I like to try to get the hardest ones out of the way first.
  • Options
    No, and 291 will likely be the most difficult for you.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you've got Security+ already, then you don't need another elective for MCSA or MCSE. I'd recommend taking 70-298 instead of 70-297, once you're at the point of taking a design exam, as 70-298 serves as a design exam for the regular MCSE, the MCSE: Security, and MCSE: Messaging certifications. Not that 70-297 is bad, but since you were looking for the shortest path, that's what I recommend.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    If you've got Security+ already, then you don't need another elective for MCSA or MCSE. I'd recommend taking 70-298 instead of 70-297, once you're at the point of taking a design exam, as 70-298 serves as a design exam for the regular MCSE, the MCSE: Security, and MCSE: Messaging certifications. Not that 70-297 is bad, but since you were looking for the shortest path, that's what I recommend.

He's asking specifically for the security specialization. He does need another elective if he wants to go for that. Also, 70-298 cannot be used for the MCSA: Security, and it is a requirement for the MCSE: Security. It's the "regular" MCSE can use either 70-297 or 70-298.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

He's asking specifically for the security specialization. He does need another elective if he wants to go for that. Also, 70-298 cannot be used for the MCSA: Security, and it is a requirement for the MCSE: Security. It's the "regular" MCSE can use either 70-297 or 70-298.

Ah, I didn't read the topic closely enough. :D

Still, my advice stands: stay away from 70-297, you've already got your elective for MCSA/MCSE: Security in Security+. You need to do one more elective exam - in addition to 70-290, 70-291, and your client OS exam - to get your MCSA: Security. The suggestions up to this point have been good, and I'd recommend checking out 70-299 as well. If you use a security-related exam as your general elective for MCSA: Security, (in this case, using Security+ as your security elective and something like 70-299 or 70-351 as your general elective,) then you'll only need to take 70-293, 70-294, and 70-298 to move up from MCSA: Security to MCSE: Security. And if you haven't already taken 70-270 or 70-210, I'd recommend going for the Vista exam (70-620) instead, because it tracks to both MCSA/MCSE as well as MCITP: Server/Enterprise Administrator.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Agreed.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Agreed as well. I would take 70-299 as the security elective. You will find some overlap of concepts from other exams you have studied for during your MCSA/E journey.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i am glad i stumbled on this thread because i have the same question. I currently have passed the 270/271/272/261. I still have to take 290/291, my question is do i have to take 1 or 2 security electives for the MCSA:S track? If this has been answered can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks all
  • Options
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok Dynamik, thanks for the info, wasn't too sure on what was required.