Options

Linux, Samba, and Winbind

undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
I got a linux box up and running the other day. Got it working fine with authenticating against active directory and sharing folders proplery (though I had a horribly time tracking down one typo I had made, I love misleading error messages) so everything is working together happily except for one thing. Samba and winbind aren't starting up together properly. I always have to ssh in and stop winbind, restart samba, then start winbind before authentication will start working. The best I can make out is that things are starting up before the network is ready so winbind is failing to properly join the domain. So my question is how does one fix this? Presumably so that the network is ready before winbind starts up and then samba. Linux is nowhere near my specialty as I've only been running it for a couple months now and haven't really done anything serious with it. Any advice on how to get this working so I don't have to restart services would be helpful. Thanks!
Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    We had this same problem on a Linux box where I used to work. I ended up having to write a basic script that would start Samba and WinBind in the right order and place the script into the last start-up location of the box. In this case, dropping that script into the rc.d folder, which is the rough equivalent of the Startup folder in Windows. I think I might be able to give you some better guidelines, but I need to know what distro of Linux you're running, along with anything else you can tell me.

Oh, and pick up a copy of Linux in a Windows World if you really want to get into the options available to integrate Linux into Window environments. I thought it was worth the read.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try reading through this: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=138847

edit: Or just get advice directly from the man himself :D
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm running opensuse 10.3 over here and can tell you whatever else you need. Ok so my script for starting up winbind and samba I can just drop into the rc5.d folder in rc.d? And I would want to make sure that it is the last S number. I read in the thread that dynamik referenced that K is for kill so is there anything I would need to modify there? Thanks for the book reference! I've been seeing lots of jobs advertised recently for administrators with both linux as well as windows experience so I'm just trying my best to get linux proficient over here. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/