Best order to take 298/299

techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have ordered the books for 298/299 to finish my MCSE & gain the Security specialization. The prometric testing center is 90 miles away from my house. I wanted to cut out a trip and take both tests on the same day. Has anyone done this? For those of you who have taken both tests, which one should I take earlier in the day or does it matter?
Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen people do both in the same day, and I'm considering doing that myself in a couple of months. I don't think the order matters if you're doing both the same day. At that point, either you know it or you don't.
  • techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I scheduled the 299 first, my thinking is:
      It is more familar type than the case-study type of 298. There will be less reading, so less chance of getting worn down after taking the first exam More *fun* exam first, brain warm-up for 2nd test

So I have 299 scheduled for 9am, 298 for noon which will give me time to eat/cram. Are the MSPress books good enough for these exams?

Thanks,
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're pretty familiar with Windows administration with some security knowledge specific to Windows, those books are probably fine. It has been a while since I have taken those exams, but sure you have the 2003 certificate services and EFS down cold. If you can play with the stuff in the book on a real server and set it up, it is VERY helpful. All in all, I didn't think the exams were that bad.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...