Options

Classroom led training

kingmonkey81kingmonkey81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever taken a Microsoft exam, using nothing more than the classroom led training for studying, if so, how much extra studying do you think is required before attempting and exam.

I'm doing the M2277 next week, and i hope to take the 70-291 to complete my MCSA, and just wanted to get a feel how the classroom training prepares you for the exam?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It would depend on the classroom training itself (IE The quality, the time period etc)

However I wouldnt suggest it, classroom training is time restrictive and is likely to not cover all objectives.

I would suggest to supliment the classroom training with your own study including study resources, practice exams and hands on training.

I know this is a general answer but it depends on alot of things. For example do you have any experience prior to the classroom training??
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Has anyone ever taken a Microsoft exam, using nothing more than the classroom led training for studying, if so, how much extra studying do you think is required before attempting and exam.

I'm doing the M2277 next week, and i hope to take the 70-291 to complete my MCSA, and just wanted to get a feel how the classroom training prepares you for the exam?

Thanks in advance

I have taken all of the MOC's in route to my Microsoft certifications. The class alone does not teach you the exam, nor really prepares you for it. YOu will learn a lot and do a lot of hands-on labs in the classes. For the 2277, you will probably want to supplement it with 2276 and those two classes combine for 70-291. You will definitely want to supplement the class with some sort of Practice Exams (I use Measure Up), Reading Technet, ask questions on this forum, and setting up a home lab to practice some of the things not covered in depth during the class. I enjoy the classes because I can stop to ask questions or get further explanations or examples fromt he instructor. I've also used my instructors to actually get ideas or help improve or resolve and issue I was dealing with at work. Check out the Microsoft Learning and you will see how in depth the MOC course is in comparison to the exam. Some aras MS says it will prepare you and some areas they say that additional study is required. Below is a link to the 70-291 and how the courses prepares you for the exam. Unless you practice after the course, you will struggle on this exam. I actually failed it the first time. Due to the nature of the scenario based questions MS throws out at you, practicing the technology is key...understanding the technology is equally important for exam purposes.

To answer your other questions...after each course, I usually took about a couple of months or so to study for these exams...this became habit due to busy life with family and work, and after I failed this exam. I read the entire MOC book you will get, used Measure Up, read through TechNet for topics not real clear in the book or when I get an answer wrong in Measure UP (they give you link references to tEchnet for every question...otherwise they reference you to the book), read through threads on this site and utilized any study tools TechExams offer, and tried to simulate as much as possible in a virtual lab. Might have been overboard, but I wasn't just trying to get certified, I was trying to learn as I was already knee deep in an environment that needed the knowledge.

Good luck!

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-291.mspx
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)