Options

Taking CCNP exams with expired CCNA

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello,

it has been quite a while since I last posted here so please forgive me, if I missed the answer.

My CCNA will expire in about two weeks (Mid March) and I'm still preparing for BSCI. There is no way that I will be finished with BSCI studies before my CCNA expires (the day on the printed cert) but my boss (who is a CCIE) mentioned that there is some grace period of 3 months in which you can still take CCNP exams although your CCNA has already officially expired.

Does anybody know the details on this ?

Best regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never heard of any grace period and there is no information on Cisco's About Recertification page about a grace period.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree, there is no grace period. You may however take the BSCI with an expired CCNA but you will not be granted a CCNP until you retake the CCNA. I guess it is just one of the hard realities of Cisco certifications. icon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

akashgaikwad2009akashgaikwad2009 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had given exam of CCNA but it has been expired , Is it possible to give CCNP Route Certification if I don’t have valid certification of CCNA ???
    so kindly suggest me.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I had given exam of CCNA but it has been expired , Is it possible to give CCNP Route Certification if I don’t have valid certification of CCNA ???
    so kindly suggest me.

You can sit the CCNP exams, but to get the CCNP certification you need either a current CCNA or current CCIE. If you can do the CCNP exam, then the CCNA isn't too hard, it's just more money to pay.

Cisco is nice for renewals, but bad once anything expires.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My former boss had this happen to him. His CCNA expired before he could start his CCNP Routing & Switching studies. He spent a few months, knocked out the CCNP-level exams, then went in and just re-sat the CCNA exam the day after the last big test. It's not exactly like he needed to study *that* hard for the Associate-level after finishing the Pro track. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.